Is this moose legal?

Bushwhack Jack

Reaction score
I apologize in advance. I didn't have a camera with me. I've been watching this spike fork all summer long and up until about 10 days ago he was still barely legal. But I saw him tonight and it looks like he grew a third tine on his right side. My wife was with me and she thinks he was still legal, but I disagreed with her and I told her he wasn't. I feel 95% confident he wasn't but I thought I would sketch up a drawing of what he looked like and ask what you guys think. The right side had one brow tine, a small paddle, and one little tine that I believe is approximately 1 inch tall. The left side clearly has three tines. So I know this sketch is a bad representation, but if you saw this bull as it is drawn, would you shoot?

19KcoPk.jpg

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
Nope, not legal. The legal definition of a tine/point is at least 1" long and longer than it is wide. Paddle-horned bulls aren't legal, and neither are 3 point bulls. The bull you drew (nice drawing, by the way!) isn't a fork in my reading of the law.

AZinAK

Reaction score
I'd say no. I let a spike go last year that was questionable as to being long enough. This is like the full curl for sheep...if you're having to agonize, let it walk. Easier to explain and stomach than the alternative possibly.

AZinAK

highestview

Reaction score
Paddle-horned bulls aren't legal,

That's a common misperception. If they have less than three points, it doesn't matter if the antler is palmated/paddled. If the middle point on the left of the drawing was less than 1" long or wider than it was long, it would be legal. But, a bull like that could certainly lead to a long philosophical discussion with a trooper.

If it doesn't have 3 legally defined 'points' then it is a legal spike/fork regardless of configuration, but they rarely have much palm with only 2 points but we did shoot one 3 years ago that had about 4" palms with basically one brow tine. The way he was, the paddle part was considered on point because on either edge of the top end, it's width was way more than the length. Rare but don't disqualify a moose just because it has any palm to it. Take a close look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
That's a common misperception. If they have less than three points, it doesn't matter if the antler is palmated/paddled. If the middle point on the left of the drawing was less than 1" long or wider than it was long, it would be legal. But, a bull like that could certainly lead to a long philosophical discussion with a trooper.

Absolutely true, and I apologize for the overgeneralization. Many (most?) palmated antlers do not qualify as a point, as they are wider than they are long. There are exceptions, however, and as you point out there are cases where a palmated bull can still be considered to be a spike/fork. Thanks for the clarification.

bkmail

Reaction score

If it doesn't have 3 legally defined 'points' then it is a legal spike/fork regardless of configuration, but they rarely have much palm with only 2 points but we did shoot one 3 years ago that had about 4" palms with basically one brow tine. The way he was, the paddle part was considered on point because on either edge of the top end, it's width was way more than the length. Rare but don't disqualify a moose just because it has any palm to it. Take a close look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, shot one years ago that had a paddle and one brow tine as well. Completely legal.
Essentially it looked like your hand if you were to keep your fingers tight together and your thumb out to the side. It was classified as 2 points.
He was tasty!
So, if your drawing is accurate and the middle point is less than an inch or wider than an inch at the base, it is not considered a point. Also, he's in velvet and the point might not be as big as you think.....food for thought?!

Regardless, its your decision and you'll have to deal with the consequences if you guess incorrectly.
BK

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
I apologize in advance. I didn't have a camera with me. I've been watching this spike fork all summer long and up until about 10 days ago he was still barely legal. But I saw him tonight and it looks like he grew a third tine on his right side. My wife was with me and she thinks he was still legal, but I disagreed with her and I told her he wasn't. I feel 95% confident he wasn't but I thought I would sketch up a drawing of what he looked like and ask what you guys think. The right side had one brow tine, a small paddle, and one little tine that I believe is approximately 1 inch tall. The left side clearly has three tines. So I know this sketch is a bad representation, but if you saw this bull as it is drawn, would you shoot?

19KcoPk.jpg
I think that is legal where I live. Any antlered bull.

highestview

Reaction score
Absolutely true, and I apologize for the overgeneralization. Many (most?) palmated antlers do not qualify as a point, as they are wider than they are long. There are exceptions, however, and as you point out there are cases where a palmated bull can still be considered to be a spike/fork. Thanks for the clarification.

I'd just hate to see anyone let all that primo spike/fork meat walk away.

akiceman25

Reaction score
An example of a legal fork/paddle. This little bull was almost mine. Stalk was on, 200 yards and closing. Suddenly...BANG! Another hunter got em. I had to laugh and shake the guys hand.

1d1936f81d3ddd1666a614d38a3a4038.jpg
ab253d53eac45f38d4c4490ee25b1af4.jpg

anchskier

Reaction score
A little different than this case, but a funny, yet very frustrating case from a while back....

Was hunting on the Peninsula during archery season. I came across another hunter along a gravel road who was viewing a young bull that clearly had a spike on one side, but a questionable paddle/fork on the other. While standing there, the moose wasn't giving us a clear view of the other side. He had his bow out and I assumed he was just waiting for the right opportunity to take the shot. Because he was already on that moose, I left the area figuring I would scout the rest of the area before others came around (road hunting before work in the morning). When I came back, I passed the guy driving down the road so I stopped to chat with him. He said he ended up passing on the moose because he couldn't clearly identify the antlers on the other side (remember, he had a very obvious spike on the near side). I didn't bother to point out that he only needed one side to be legal. He could have had a 30" palm with browtines on the other for all the regs care as long as one side was a spike/fork. I went back looking for that moose and never found it. Someone else ended up taking it the next day.

Bushwhack Jack

Reaction score
Finally got a better glimpse of him 2 weeks later. I'm glad I didn't stick him with my bow.

oXKBANP.jpg

LuJon

Reaction score
Here is one that shows some palmation that I believe to be legal though many would pass on.

e436d5b397659f4dada15f6656dfd9cb.jpg

e64a4a69bbf94299362f3fef8d1ce52a.jpg