Is this hideous little bug a tick?

highestview

Reaction score
uqudaga4.jpg
savy2a6e.jpg

I don't play with bugs as much now that I'm a grown man, but I saw this guy on the piping on my jobsite today and it really got my curiosity going. Is this a tick or other parasitic bug? I've never seen a bug like this since I've been in Anchorage (1990). Have they made it up here already? Does anyone have info on the parasitic bugs in Alaska?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG13

Reaction score
Looks like a Coleopteran (beetle) at a quick glance. Definitely NOT a tick.

Tearbear

Reaction score
Looks like a strawberry root weevil.

Bummer...didn't know they liked the roots as well :( On a side note, this thread should probably be in the gardening section...unless someone is planning on hunting them.

highestview

Reaction score
That's good to know. What's the farthest north they've found ticks on moose or caribou?

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
That's good to know. What's the farthest north they've found ticks on moose or caribou?

There are ticks here, and more coming north all the time. Likely only a matter of time before it's as bad as down south. Plug this into your search engine (without the quotes): "ticks site:http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com"

JuneauEd

Reaction score
These also eat notches in the edge of Rhododendron leaves-very crunchy little hard bodies

Tearbear

Reaction score
Future reference: at 1.2 million to 1, it is safe to say "if I don't like the looks of this I will kill it"...

For me, it really doesn't have much to do with the way the bug looks, it's the damage they do in my strawberry patch...they are not allowed to chew on my berries, and will be crushed accordingly.

smarion

Reaction score
I saw a tick that was brought into the Soldotna Emergency Room a couple weeks ago. It was passed on to Fish and Game I think. It was found on someone here visiting from Michigan that "swore" they didn't bring it with them. Ron, can you tell your friends to keep the riff raff home? :)

4merguide

Reaction score
I saw a tick that was brought into the Soldotna Emergency Room a couple weeks ago. It was passed on to Fish and Game I think. It was found on someone here visiting from Michigan that "swore" they didn't bring it with them. Ron, can you tell your friends to keep the riff raff home? :)

Oh isn't that nice...!!! Unfortunately, though I can't be sure, I may have found one attached to the side of my lab's mouth a couple days ago. The dog may have already scratched away the body and only head may have been attached. I noticed some blood there and just plucked away whatever it was. It bled off and on for awhile after that.......

anchskier

Reaction score

duckslayer56

Reaction score
Here in the lesser 48 the whitetail population can take a lot of blame too. Here in MD you see deer everywhere, all of them are covered in ticks, and they spread them everywhere. Every time I take my dog out I have to check him, even with the K9 Advantix I still find them on him. Found one on him the other day that got engorged to the size of my fingernail.

Latest posts