Is this a halibut ?

Alaska Gray

Reaction score
Was at the Alaska Public Lands place. And saw this . They have it listed as a halibut. To me it looks more like a arrow tooth.
a3amytym.jpg

Living the Alaska Dream

270ti

Reaction score
Halibut do have small teeth. They've torn me up pretty good on occasion when reaching in for a hook and they decide to chomp down. The gills have really torn me up too.

fishNphysician

Reaction score
Arrowtooth's eye doesn't migrate all the way around… kinda gets stuck teetering just past the dorsal ridge.

Yeti

Reaction score
Can't quite tell on the size but I believe arrowtooth only get to about 15 or 20 pounds. I caught my fair share of them last year as they took over my halibut hole.

homer907

Reaction score
I have caught hundreds o those when I chartered out of homer that is most definetly an arrow tooth flounder.

BrownBear

Reaction score
It would help to see the tail, but the head and especially the eyes are waaaay wrong for arrowtooth flounder. I admit the t-dermist got carried away with the teeth, but it's a halibut.

SMH

Reaction score
The corner of the mouth on Arrowtooth extends past the eye. It stops short of the eye on Halibut.
Halibut usually aren't as toothy but I caught a small one in Ketchikan last fall that had teeth like an Arrowtooth but the corner of the mouth stopped where it should for a Halibut. I asked the crew at Cedar's Lodge if it was an Arrowtooth or a Halibut and they immediately stated "Halibut".