Is there still hope for the .338 federal?

misportsman

Reaction score
I've been looking a lot at the ballistics of the .338 federal lately and they look to be pretty good. The light handy rifles it has been offered in make me think it would make a great woods gun! Got on line to check ammo and found very little available and what there was is going for north of $100. I stopped into my lgs yesterday and the owner told me that the .338 federal is dead and not to bother with it. Is there any hope left for it?

LeonardC

Reaction score
I liked the ballistics of the .338 Federal. I almost had a rifle built for it. I was looking to replace my "canoe rifle" with something a bit bigger. Go from a Mini-14 SS to a M14 style in .338 Federal. I got into a time & $ crunch and when I sent off my receiver and parts I sent a USGI barrel. The barrel would not work on that rec and I needed a new barrel. I thought that gunsmith was out of his .338 Federal barrels and I did not request one, buying a short .308 instead. Later it turned out he still had a few stashed in the back. Big tear; I think the .338 Federal would have been just right for what I wanted. As it turned out my receiver was so out of spec. the .308 set up will not function (expensive paper weight!) and the .338 Federal would have just been one more variable to work around.

Do you have a big pile of .338 Federal brass stashed away? Midsouth doesn't list it; Midway lists Federal and StarLine with both out of stock and none in sight. StarlLine lists it as out of stock. It's a tough time finding some brass!

EDIT: OP must be able to read minds! Picked up the mail today and Shooting Times, Nov. 2022, has a nice short article on the .338 Federal.

Last edited:

PRDATR

Reaction score
I was sitting in the local water hole about five years ago and a friend came in and showed me a box of it and asked me "what the heck is this". Apparently he thought he was buying 338 Win Mag so I gave him a brief rundown of it.
That is the only time I ever saw any.

moose338

Reaction score
If your a handloader and don't mind forming brass out of 308 brass, then the federal is still a perfectly viable option. If your relying on factory ammo then you would probably be better off sticking with a 308 or some other more common round.