Iridium sat phone model 9555

BRWNBR

Reaction score
I always like the 9505a model. Might be hard to find now. The newer ones sound more digital to me and less natural. But they all work just fine. As long as it’s iridium network.

alottabs

Reaction score
Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIROND
Thanks, Jake. The people that I talked with about the rental said they highly recommended the Model 9555. I can not believe how expensive the rental would have been in the Yukon. I found a very creditable outfit in my area that rents them for 39.99 a week with blocks of 30 minutes for 50.00.I`ll probably get 60 minutes worth. Do you think a fully charged battery will last one hour???? Still not cheap but far better than the price in Whitehorse. Hope all is well with you and your family.

AK Troutbum

Reaction score
The 9555 is a great phone, and I think it’s about the lightest, most compact sat phone on the market. It’s not as water resistant or have as many bells and whistles as the 9575 Extreme has, but you’d be hard pressed to find one more reliable or easier to pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

Reaction score
You should get several hours outa one battery I would think. I do and that’s on an old phone. Whatever you do don’t pack your sat phone in a trash bag, that looks like a bag of trash. It might just get trashed. Just saying. Don’t ask why...just saying.

alottabs

Reaction score
Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIROND
Thanks for the trash bag warning. I think I will just use my pack!!! I could rent an extra battery if need be but it sounds like I do not need to. I will make sure it is fully charged before leaving because I won`t have the option to charge it in the field. THANKS!!!

Bill S.

Reaction score
I've used the 9555 several times without any problems. Its a good phone. Take a spare battery because you never know what may happen. I've got that phone reserved for this year's hunt. Wish it was only 39.95 up here. But then we only pay for the minutes used.

Reaction score
I am an expert on all outdoors topics. Sometimes I go to Sportsman Warehouse and field questions from the less knowledgeAbe shoppers. Of course they usually kick me out, something about my breath, and a large booming voice. I'm gonna have my own booth during the sportsmans show. Feel free to visit me with all your questions. I can answer all of them. I used to guide people like Walter Kronkite, among other famous people.

Nick Muche

Reaction score
I like my 9555. Bring the external antenna just in case.

I dont use mine much since getting a Delorme inReach which I find to be a better communication tool when in the field but the Sat phone is certainly a great thing to have.

wildwill

Reaction score
I have the 9575 Extreme and love it, but rented the 9555 several times before picking up my own phone and had no issues whatsoever with the 9555. Always rented from Surveyors Exchange and they hand it over in a little waterproof-ish otterbox case, and pretty sure we always got an extra battery with the rental as well. If using on a longer hunt, and have a few folks using the phone, you'll want the extra battery for sure. I always have more minutes than I need on our plan, so most often have 2-4 gents using the phone to check in with work, wives, etc., and on 10-12 day hunts have not ever run out of power if I had two fully charged batteries at the start. (Take that back, we did have to recharge one with solar after my overly smart buddy who was the last to use it one evening, and the overly smart owner who failed to double check it was turned off--led to it being left on and draining the battery sometime over the two days between use)

caribouman

Reaction score
Battery Life

Battery Life

You should get several hours outa one battery I would think. I do and that’s on an old phone. Whatever you do don’t pack your sat phone in a trash bag, that looks like a bag of trash. It might just get trashed. Just saying. Don’t ask why...just saying.

Motorola lists the standby time with the 9505a at 30 hours and the talk time as 3.6 hours (216 min). I've never needed to use my spare batteries as I don't use "standby", just turn the phone on when I'm ready to make a call. Having the extra battery along is good insurance in case your hunting partner forgets to turn the phone off after making a call.

Latest posts