• .375 H&H

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • 12 gauge / Brenneke slugs

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
Well, it depends - are you talking about a predatory attack, one where you might be surprised by a hungry squirrel while field dressing a moose, or having to follow a wounded squirrel into heavy brush in order to finish it off? For worst case scenarios, I'm thinking that a .416 would be a minimum - but that should probably be way stepped up as long as the hunter isn't a pansy who flinches with high recoil rounds.

:D

Amigo Will

Reaction score
The worst are the ones foraging for nuts just as your doing your morning business hung over a down log.Best to have that big short handgun ready. Also if you like to eat sunflower seeds while walking check your six often.

hodgeman

Reaction score
I flinch at the sound of one hand clapping so no big boomers for me...

The .22 CB Short works fine as long as I shoot them in the earhole on the run....which of course I can since I channel Annie Oakley AND have a Y Chromosome...

<sarcasm font off>

Amigo Will

Reaction score
I flinch at the sound of one hand clapping so no big boomers for me...

The .22 CB Short works fine as long as I shoot them in the earhole on the run....which of course I can since I channel Annie Oakley AND have a Y Chromosome...

<sarcasm font off>
Brave man indeed.

mainer_in_ak

Reaction score
Well, I seem to have stumbled upon differing information, from a far better source. I checked a fish and game website, and they told me a 270 would work just fine. After i'm done with this tapatalk message down here at the country club, I will refer you heathens to the contradicting information. With the 416, barrel length (between 20-24") is a very important consideration. The higher ballistic coefficient and the higher sectional density of 27 caliber bullets, they will work much better at 400 yds.

JR2

Reaction score
I am from our of state, do I need a guide for Reds or can my second cousins brothers niece act as my guide? I have a 458 Socom AR platform with 7 lasers and a flir scope with two 100 round drums so I have the gun part figured out.

AlaskaHippie

Reaction score
I am from our of state, do I need a guide for Reds or can my second cousins brothers niece act as my guide? I have a 458 Socom AR platform with 7 lasers and a flir scope with two 100 round drums so I have the gun part figured out.

Unless you want to fly all that meat home, you can donate to the locals. I mean they're obviously too ignorant to know how to hunt for themselves.

gunbugs

Reaction score
Again, the poll has inadvertently left out common squirrel hunting cartridges. The 20x128b used in the Lahti and Solothurn seem to be missing. Heres a photo of me on my last "big red hunt". Lahti 20mm.jpg

Mountaintrekker

Reaction score
Do you recommend a bolt action, lever action or semi? I'm concerned with an auto jamming in the middle of a red squirrel charge a 60 below zero. A bolt gun would probably work but capacity has me worried especially in a a tikka. Maybe a pre 64 Winchester so I can disassemble the bolt in the field when it gets full of silt from falling in the river.what to do?
Do you carry a big bore handgun when you are hunting reds? I've heard they will advance on a gunshot or upon hearing the crinkling of cellophane wrapped cashews. Only in Kodiak of course...
I have a friend who just got a big red and I think he said it squared out to like 8" no kidding! Used one of the front chisel teeth to make a **** fine clam shovel he did. Used the other tooth for a brake on his dogsled. Shot his with a .458 Win mag and had to break him down from the shoulders to plant him. Took 6 rounds too! Dangerous up here in the woods I tell ya! Every time I hear that chirping bark I get the shivers.

Mountaintrekker

gunbugs

Reaction score
Nah, my toes dig in like a climbing axe. It does "scoot" you around a bit, though.

stevelyn

Reaction score
My pick is the .17HMR...... the .22 CB long if it needs to be done quietly.

How did the .17HMR get left out of the poll?

BTW, it turns little tundra rats inside-out. I imagine it would do the same to an interior red.