Interesting video

Bernard R Rosenberg

Reaction score
…if its legal, spearfishing sport fish in their environment is quite the thrill; in my youth I did this many times in Florida until regulations changed; great memories; there was a time when you could take goliath grouper (now protected) with a gun; once I was in on the take-down of a 240 pounder with four men and an explosive powerhead; those days are gone, I'm well satisfied now to peruse smaller quarry with traditional rod and reel and leave the larger brood stock alone...

Rosenberg;Florida

Brown drake

Reaction score
We like to do it with carp but I could never do it to a salmon our trout. I do it to deer and elk but for some reason it just feels messed up doing that to salmon or trout.

steelguy

Reaction score
I think this pretty much pushes the limit of "unsporting" in my opinion. I mean, come on! Does "shooting fish in a barrel" ring a bell?

.338WM

Reaction score
Why the judgements, it is a legal method of taking fish. Don't like it, don't do it.

LuJon

Reaction score
I wouldn't jump in the copper and try it but I would sure prefer this to dip netting as a subsistence harvest method.

mike h

Reaction score
Is it more or less sporting than flossing?

Certainly looks like more fun than flossing.

And it doesn't suffer from that whole pretending-to-fish thing.

MGH55

Reaction score
Looks better than dip netting or snagging. You only take the ones you want and no C&R to harm unwanted fish like thrill seekers do!

4merguide

Reaction score
When they allow people to snag salmon in some places, as well as it being perfectly fine to dip them out of the water by the hundreds with big nets, I have no qualms with flossing or...... spearfishing a few. But I would like to know where it says it is, or isn't legal to do...???

I think if I was doing this tho, I would be a bit more worried about the big brownie I didn't see returning to his personal fishing hole and finding me in it...!!!

fishNphysician

Reaction score
Re: spearfishing in Southcentral Alaska

Re: spearfishing in Southcentral Alaska

I did not claim, nor imply, that it is.

From the 2014 ADFG pamphlet for Southcentral Alaska...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/r...ions/PDFs/southcentral/2014SCCompleteBook.pdf

Freshwater sport fishing: (1) Fish may not be taken in fresh water by means of (a) fixed or weighted hooks and lures (except those of standard manufacture), (b) multiple hooks with gap between point and shank larger than . inch, except as permitted in the Arctic-Yukon-Kuskokwim area, (c) spear, unless permitted by area regulations, or (d) arrow, unless permitted by area regulations;

The only exception permitted in Southcentral AK is northern pike… page 16

Northern pike may be taken by spear, sport fishing gear, ice fishing gear, or by bow and arrow (the arrow must be attached to the bow with a line and the arrow must have a barbed tip).

The exception is repeated here on page 22

• Northern pike may be taken by spear, sport fishing gear, ice fishing gear, or bow and arrow. The arrow must have a barbed tip and be attached to the bow with a line.

.338WM

Reaction score
From the 2014 ADFG pamphlet for Southcentral Alaska...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/r...ions/PDFs/southcentral/2014SCCompleteBook.pdf

Freshwater sport fishing: (1) Fish may not be taken in fresh water by means of (a) fixed or weighted hooks and lures (except those of standard manufacture), (b) multiple hooks with gap between point and shank larger than . inch, except as permitted in the Arctic-Yukon-Kuskokwim area, (c) spear, unless permitted by area regulations, or (d) arrow, unless permitted by area regulations;

The only exception permitted in Southcentral AK is northern pike… page 16

Northern pike may be taken by spear, sport fishing gear, ice fishing gear, or by bow and arrow (the arrow must be attached to the bow with a line and the arrow must have a barbed tip).

The exception is repeated here on page 22

• Northern pike may be taken by spear, sport fishing gear, ice fishing gear, or bow and arrow. The arrow must have a barbed tip and be attached to the bow with a line.

What are you trying to argue with me? READ EXACTLY what I posted, then try to understand it, please.

.338WM

Reaction score
You mean this part?

JFC, the vid is titled Spearfishing Salmon Southcentral Alaska. Spearing salmon is NOT legal in Southcentral AK.

Where it that post do I state that it is legal in SE Alaska, or anyplace in particular for that matter, or which species qualifies for such method?

Bushwhack Jack

Reaction score
Who said spearfishing for salmon is legal? Last I heard this is totally illegal! Pike are okay to spear, but not salmon. Somebody ought to report this to fish and game.

danmiotke

Reaction score
That video is taken China Poot personal use fishery if that changes anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts