Installing mercury jet on a G3

excav8tr

Reaction score
jake
did several the "sandwich" way 1/4 to 3/8 aluminum & pressure treated plywood or equal for thickness.....if you don't want to have any welding done just waterproof seal up the exposed top & sandwich the sides
I've seen just plywood extensions that lasted for yrs...fyi

dkwarthog

Reaction score
image.jpg

i snapped a photo of mine tonight. It's only 3/16" aluminum with a 2x2 as a spacer. But my jet is only a 35 hp. It is hell for stout. Transom will probably tear out of the hull before the extension gets damaged. I don't remember it being expensive.

BRWNBR

Reaction score
Wow, lots of cool ideas. Figures this forum wouldn't let me down! Lol

tzieli22

Reaction score
CMC's are nice but the additional 6" off the transom is very tuff on them, not so much on the water but more when trailering and the bounces on the road. If your not going to switch it out and you want cheap, get two plates of aluminum - sandwich the transom and raise your 5", then run two pieces of metal from the top of your extensions to the side gunnels. Can do it for whatever you get the metal for. If you don't care much about looks, you can even use conduit like 1", or 1 1/2" and paint.

I had the CMC on my 24' SeaArk w/150 Yamaha 4 stroke. Cracked my transom. Ended up having it pulled back in, secured with add on bracket, removed the CMC, added a slip on riser to raise my engine and I switch it out in my driveway when needed between my jet and prop. Hauled 4 guys and 4 moose, plus gear from the Koyukuk last year with my prop.