Inflatable Boat for Small Lake Fishing

whiskeyjack

Reaction score
I’m seriously considering investing in a small inflatable boat for fishing small lakes in Anchorage and the Kenai. I have the following requirements:

1. Be able to install a padded boat seat with backrest.
  2. Solid floor that would allow me to stand up.
  3. Room for two fishermen.
  4. Able to strap on a regular utility trailer.
  5. Use an electric trolling motor.

I’ve been using a canoe but it kills my back after about a half hour and it’s slow moving around. I’d appreciate any comments regarding brand, style, etc., based on personal experience.

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
I have had a number of inflatables for the same purpose… Started out with on of those fishing tubes, upgraded to a single man pontoon, then to a 9’ zodiac style, and now have a cheap 13’ Intex raft that is pretty sweet.

The hard part that I’ve found is finding the right combo of inflatable, hard floor, padded seat, and motor mount. My Intex Mariner has a hard floor and a transom mount, but no way to do a padded seat unless I build a rowing frame, which I plan on doing.

Another option that I have considered for the local lakes is a small bass boat from Cabela’s. It might be what you’re looking for, but it’s not an inflatable.

kk alaska

Reaction score
13 ft Solar inflatable fishing kayak use it all over 10 plus year has a rudder tracks great. 10 PSI floor used it this weekend.

Attachments

• kayak solar.jpg
    kayak solar.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 14
  • ktrt.jpg
    ktrt.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 13

whiskeyjack

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The Sportsman's Show usually has vendors selling inflatables so I'm going wait and see what they have to offer.

Daveintheburbs

Reaction score
Might try to find a Folboat on e bay or craig's list. Used mine a lot and the bigger models are very stable. Have not made them in a while.

kk alaska

Reaction score
Make sure it has a rudder most dont track well. My Saturn has a removable stand up board style rudder when I forget to put it on about unusable with it I have been in 30 plus gusts with no issues on tracking.

kurtwitte

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Sea Eagle 285fpb that is a 3 chamber 10" inflatable rated at about 500 lbs capacity. This is a single seat, inflatable, with hard floor that packs into a small( 30" x 24" x 12") cover. Rated for up to a 6 HP motor although I have a 2.5 that has plenty of power for myself.
Sea Eagle makes a STS 210 that seats 2. Although I have yet to use it in AK(its in storage in Anchorage with my RV & Jeep toad) I have used in on lots of lakes in Colorado and have had it in 35 mph headwinds with about a 2-3 ft chop and felt safe. I did install additional Scotty rod holders and purchased a taller seat pedastal. The seat is a common folding, padded, found in walmart and most sporting good stores that has a 360 degree swivel.
Good luck with your purchase.

whiskeyjack

Reaction score
I have an Sea Eagle 285fpb that is a 3 chamber 10" inflatable rated at about 500 lbs capacity. This is a single seat, inflatable, with hard floor that packs into a small( 30" x 24" x 12") cover. Rated for up to a 6 HP motor although I have a 2.5 that has plenty of power for myself.
Sea Eagle makes a STS 210 that seats 2. Although I have yet to use it in AK(its in storage in Anchorage with my RV & Jeep toad) I have used in on lots of lakes in Colorado and have had it in 35 mph headwinds with about a 2-3 ft chop and felt safe. I did install additional Scotty rod holders and purchased a taller seat pedastal. The seat is a common folding, padded, found in walmart and most sporting good stores that has a 360 degree swivel.
Good luck with your purchase.
Thanks, I'll look into both of those Sea Eagles.