In Search of a New Ocean Boat

redleader

Reaction score
Looks super clean and was moored on freshwater. Not sure about the Hondas but it looks like a great deal on a very nice boat.
I'm planning to bring mine up the inside passage in May or June from Bellingham WA.

MGH55

Reaction score
I would have to question the motors. You could pull them and put on new power, but that would run the cost way up plus $4000.00 for a trailer.

patrickL

Reaction score
I apologize for my delayed response. I was back home deer hunting with my old man. A trip I look forward to every year and something that can't be replaced.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and keep it coming. It's why I posted this thread and I appreciate all your thoughts and opinions.

So a couple thoughts. I think what we are looking for, while hard to find, is not possible. In addition to the ACB I posted up before, there was a Norvelle for sale that would have worked for us. While both have their complications, they are both getting us to where we want to be. An aluminum with outboards and more room for our family. While our Hewes was a nice boat it was just too tight. I think Spoiled one nailed it....it was too narrow. Both the ACB and Norvelle gave us a full dinette that made a bed for two adults plus seats forward so that we could spread out. One problem I have is that my wife likes her sleep. If she and I can use the cuddy, I can get up in the morning with the boys, sit around, make coffee, and when they get up, make breakfast. All this time she can get some privacy in the cuddy to sleep and relax. A happy wife a happy life, particularly when I'm out on the water where I love to be. Both boats would have worked for us in this capacity. I'm in no way arguing with what has been said here. You are all right. What boats several of you have would be ideal but we aren't in a situation to make that happen right now. Bayweld, Armstong, Seawolf, Glaciercraft are all amazing but you get what you pay for and the are outta our price range. We're going to have to compromise somewhere which is why I'm looking to all of you for help.

I'm also not completely opposed to a fiberglass. I've looked seriously at the 27ft Seasport Pilothouse and the 30ft Voyager. That Voyager MGH55 posted is a very nice boat but unless they drop the price a bunch, it's not in my price range. My biggest concern about fiberglass boats is the outdrives. I've had them in the past and I've read enough to know they are a maintenance hog no matter what you do. But, given the right boat and the right deal, we'd certainly consider it. At $10K an outdrive, it would have to be low hours or new for me to get serious about it. Other than that, if it was in decent shape we'd think seriously about it.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone and keep the thoughts and ideas coming.

Cheers

redleader

Reaction score
Good luck with your search Patrick, yes a fiberglass boat with outdrives can be a maintenance monster, be careful what you decide, pay now or pay later with down time, high dollar service work and pulling your hair out.

Paul H

Reaction score
Patrick,

What you want can occasionally be found, you just have to be willing to be patient and grab such a boat when it hits the market, but it may take a couple of years to find what you're looking for at your price. I've been half heartedly looking for the same setup and have seen a few that were close in the $100-120k range. That Norvelle is a beautiful boat, but my personal thoughts were, a bit under powered, lots of hours on the engines, and the fishing deck was too small. But when you're looking at $200+k boats for ~$100k, you're going to have to make some compromises, unless you're very lucky and find the boat for your price. The thing with ACB's is they seem very narrow in the cab for their length.

The other option is find an ex six pack charter boat in the 28-30' size for ~$70k and put the sweat equity into building out the interior yourself.

POLE BENDER

Reaction score
photo (6).jpg
Patrick, dont know alot about this boat, but i did stop and look at it mid summer this year, it was parked along Birchwood Loop road, on the way to the shooting range, right hand side of the road and just past the loop road as you were heading to the range. The gent that had the boat in his yard had several others there for sale as well. I did jump up in it, appeared to be 30+ NR with pilot house, had a head, canopy over the rear door ( i have one on my alumaweld- love it!) thinking the power was 250 yammies,
even after blowing it up on my computer, i cant read the phone number, sorry. but from what it seems you are looking for it might be worth a drive to see if it is still around, or perhaps someone out there can grab the number for you (if is still there)

cheers
PB

Rob B

Reaction score
Yep seen that boat before too. Patrick if ya want, I live in Eagle River and could swing by and get the number off it for ya. Let me know.

patrickL

Reaction score
Patrick,

What you want can occasionally be found, you just have to be willing to be patient and grab such a boat when it hits the market, but it may take a couple of years to find what you're looking for at your price. I've been half heartedly looking for the same setup and have seen a few that were close in the $100-120k range. That Norvelle is a beautiful boat, but my personal thoughts were, a bit under powered, lots of hours on the engines, and the fishing deck was too small. But when you're looking at $200+k boats for ~$100k, you're going to have to make some compromises, unless you're very lucky and find the boat for your price. The thing with ACB's is they seem very narrow in the cab for their length.

The other option is find an ex six pack charter boat in the 28-30' size for ~$70k and put the sweat equity into building out the interior yourself.

You and I sound like we're in the same boat (pun intended). I completely agree on what you said about both the ACB and Norvelle. But, as you said, we're going to have to compromise somewhere. In my profession, I highly doubt I'll ever be in a position to afford the boat we want so we're going to have to compromise.

That all being said, I've gotten this far mostly on sweat equity. While I'm getting tired of it, I'm still willing to do it to get where I want to be. Got any leads on a six pack charter that can be worked into something?

patrickL

Reaction score
View attachment 82263
Patrick, dont know alot about this boat, but i did stop and look at it mid summer this year, it was parked along Birchwood Loop road, on the way to the shooting range, right hand side of the road and just past the loop road as you were heading to the range. The gent that had the boat in his yard had several others there for sale as well. I did jump up in it, appeared to be 30+ NR with pilot house, had a head, canopy over the rear door ( i have one on my alumaweld- love it!) thinking the power was 250 yammies,
even after blowing it up on my computer, i cant read the phone number, sorry. but from what it seems you are looking for it might be worth a drive to see if it is still around, or perhaps someone out there can grab the number for you (if is still there)

cheers
PB

This one seems very intriguing. Any idea on what price was? Also, what were your initial thoughts and why didn't you pursue it further? Just trying to get an idea of what it was.

Rob, if it turns out to be something that might work, I may take you up on your offer. Regardless, thanks for the offer.

MGH55

Reaction score
31 ACBPL140
2006 ACB 31' w/ twin 250 hp Suzuki 4-stroke outboards with 425 hours. Morse controls. Furuno CMAP NT navigation system. (2) Icom VHF's. Custom trailer for beach launch & retrieval. Trim tabs. 210 gal fuel capacity. Canon downriggers. "Better than new condition". Located Anchor Point, Alaska.
$99,950
pl140tn.jpg

POLE BENDER

Reaction score
This one seems very intriguing. Any idea on what price was? Also, what were your initial thoughts and why didn't you pursue it further? Just trying to get an idea of what it was.

Rob, if it turns out to be something that might work, I may take you up on your offer. Regardless, thanks for the offer.

patrick, i wasnt shopping, i love my boat! there was no price listed only a phone number. i actually really liked the boat and thought it was in very good shape, dont think it was ever run as a charter. got a couple of friends that 24'NR that love them. they do handle the water well.
if Rob would stop and get you the number, i would at least call the guy.
the ACB that MGH posted is unbelievably equipped, but there is very little room in the cabin, i wish i had all the sonar stuff on my boat that it has, no wonder John was always so good at locating fish!! :)

Big Jim

Reaction score
Since sweat equity is a plus and finding the perfect aluminum boat within a given budget is pretty difficult, how about goin with a used 28' Bayliner?
See lots of em in the harbor and they seem to have plenty of room and deck space. I'd definitely lose the I/O as they just plain suck when it comes to cost to fix em but in the meantime run it and then make a winter project out of putting on a transom extension (Armstrong, etc) & couple of used four strokes? That would make that boat more attractive in the future should you decide to sell it.

breausaw

Reaction score
Being able to afford more boat also means having the ability to fork out large sums of money to feed the beast!!

Rob B

Reaction score
Well I drove down Birchwood to see if the boat was parked there still and it's gone. if I see it down there again I'll stop and take a couple pictures of it and get the phone number for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POLE BENDER

Reaction score
Well I drove down Birchwood to see if the boat was parked there still and it's gone. if I see it down there again I'll stop and take a couple pictures of it and get the phone number for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats a bummer!

MGH55

Reaction score
[h=2] SIX-PACK GLASPLY 28' - $35000 (HOMER)[/h]
00A0A_bK9OWdg2YJB_600x450.jpg

4789.png
4789.png
4790.png
4790.png

marker-shadow.png

marker-icon-2x.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

Pleasure or Charter
12,000 lbs of a good ride with *Exceptional Economy
*22 knots @ 12 GPH
*Twin Volvo DIESELS AD41 400 hp
* Stainless Props in like new condition
* Zero hours on Outdrive Overhauls.
*Complete Electronics Package.
*Downriggers

breausaw

Reaction score
Sent you a PM, not sure if your still in the market.

My wife and I sold our Hewescraft 26ft Pacific Cruiser a couple months ago and are planning on spending the winter looking for a new boat. We're looking for something that will fit our family better. We have to small boys so having a place to put them down to sleep is important as we typically do multi-day trips. I don't want to pay the premium for a new boat so we're looking used. Ideally we're looking for another welded aluminum boat with twin outboards but I've also looked at Sea Sports and a few other fiberglass rigs. If anyone is selling something you think might work or know of something for sale or coming up for sale please let us know.

We also have talked to the owner of this boat and are considering hauling it back but it's a major effort (http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-Acb-29-32-Expedition-LX-638014). Opinions and thoughts on a new rig are more than welcome.