If you reside outside of Alaska, how can you be an "Alaskan Guide"?

kgpcr

Reaction score
Competition for a job is good. It makes us all better. If Alaskans make better guides is that not who fishermen would book with? Just asking!

Erik in AK

Reaction score
Out-of-state guide hired by out-of-state lodge owner to guide out-of-state tourist to Alaskan fish. The money changes hands several times and very little of it stays in Alaska.

Tourism is the pimp and Alaska is the willing prostitute... and that, my friends is the issue.

Not whether or not Washington fishermen are better skilled. They probably are, on average, because they have to be...more competition for far fewer fish.

AkKings

Reaction score
Out-of-state guide hired by out-of-state lodge owner to guide out-of-state tourist to Alaskan fish. The money changes hands several times and very little of it stays in Alaska.

Tourism is the pimp and Alaska is the willing prostitute... and that, my friends is the issue.

Not whether or not Washington fishermen are better skilled. They probably are, on average, because they have to be...more competition for far fewer fish.

You've got it all figured out, don't ya?

The resort I work for is owned by an Alaskan who relocated to Seattle but still spends alot of time in Ak., and 2 Hawaiians, the Alaskan is the majority owner. They spend alot of $$$ every year in state, transportation bill alone flying somedays 20+ floatplanes in and out is huge (instate $$$). Also perishable foods from Ketchikan for 150 people is huge (instate $$$). Then there are all the out of state employees that go to town and blow tons of $$$, doubt the stores in Craig are complaining. (alot more instate $$$).
As for all the Alaskan fish, I fish as far south as you can fish in Alaska and still be in Alaska, I would bet a seasons wages I'm catching alot more B.C./Wa and Or fish then I am Alaskan.

Erik in AK

Reaction score
RE: Akkings
I wasn't talking about you. I was speaking to a very common economic dynamic within sportfish tourism, and while it may not apply to you exactly it still applies. There is an Alaska beyond Ketchikan.

A significant number of lodges in SE are not Alaskan owned. Nearly half those on the Kenai are Alaskan own and few of the fly-in fish camps on the Nushagak are Alaskan owned.

Overall? Only about 25% to 30% of the tourism dollars generated by Alaskan tourism stay in the state, or so says the AK Dept of Commerce.

Have a good season.

TYNMON

Reaction score
Let me guess you spent your 6 long winters on the pan handle? Doesn't sound typical of any Alaskans I know. Probably a lot like the folks showing up at trailer parks, canneries, and union halls all over the state.
You logic is perfectly reasonable.. So you five children should be restricted to the borders of Alaska.. All non-native born fishing guides should be banned.. You and your entire family is bound to the state of Alaska and not allowed to work anywhere else in the Country....:lol:

Obviously for you and your narrowminded viewpoints at the edge of the Alaska map the world ends...

Why don't you go complain about out of state commercial fishermen? Or out of state oilfield workers? Of course you are the expert... Please tell us who should be allowed to move and work in YOUR STATE.. It is your world we are just living in it...

jkb

Reaction score
You logic is perfectly reasonable.. So you five children should be restricted to the borders of Alaska.. All non-native born fishing guides should be banned.. You and your entire family is bound to the state of Alaska and not allowed to work anywhere else in the Country....:lol:

Obviously for you and your narrowminded viewpoints at the edge of the Alaska map the world ends...

Why don't you go complain about out of state commercial fishermen? Or out of state oilfield workers? Of course you are the expert... Please tell us who should be allowed to move and work in YOUR STATE.. It is your world we are just living in it...

My kids are not moving to Florida claiming to know more about Florida than a Floridian. Or claiming to be "real Florida" fishing guides. They ALL proudly claim the State of their birth as to where they are from. You can work anywhere you want just don't show up here as an adult to start guiding and after a couple years of snow birding claim to be a "real alaskan" fishing guide. That's what this thread is about. We have an excellent education system in Ak those of us that went through it have excellent reading skills I can't says as much about other states.