I.D. AR-16 Bolt Carriers.......????

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
Some of my new AR-15 firearms are coming with bolt carries that I was told some manufactures are using AR-16 carriers.

Question: Is the carrier for the AR-16 the one with the bottom opening milled further back....???

A link to a photo of both would be helpful.

Murphy

Reaction score
Well I think it's AR-15 and M-16, M-4. Armalite calls their semi-auto an M-15 but anyway, I think makers who make full auto guns often use the M-16/M-4 Carrier because there is less machining on the full auto version. As for NFA rules, I think only the lock work parts are covered but you can't even own those pieces (without a stamp) if you have an AR. The trigger, hammer fire selector for sure.

Last edited:

ADfields

Reaction score
As for NFA rules, I think only the lock work parts are covered but you can't even own those pieces (without a stamp) if you have an AR. The trigger, hammer fire selector for sure.

Stamp and a listed full auto rifle both . . . Or an SOT license. If you have the auto sear and the stamp but don’t have the listed rifle or the SOT you’d be asking for trouble. Upper parts don’t matter for NFA except for short barrels.

Murphy

Reaction score
Stamp and a listed full auto rifle both . . . Or an SOT license. If you have the auto sear and the stamp but don’t have the listed rifle or the SOT you’d be asking for trouble. Upper parts don’t matter for NFA except for short barrels.

Thanks, Andy. I don't claim to be up to speed on NFA. I do realize that the registry is closed. I have a good friend with FFL that allows me to test fire a few once in a while. We ran an old M16 the other day. A CAR of yesteryear. About $35,000.

AKDoug

Reaction score
A m16 or "full auto" carrier is perfectly legal and it's the better option. The material removed to make most semi auto carriers makes the back of the firing pin take up the majority of the force to reset the hammer, often resulting in shorter firing pin life.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk