How often do you refill bait barrells?

Teamsully

Reaction score
I have watched some videos where they refill the morning of the hunt and others where they do it more often. What is the best method and most cost effective as well.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Answers are going to wary depending on how you hunt. I access my sites by boat. I fill it and don't come back for a week. Usually, a single bear finds the bait first and I refill. One bear can go thru a lot of food. I have seen on the game camera a bear can eat 30 gallons of popcorn in three hours. If the stand is getting multiple hits, I have had 10 bears within sight in the stand, you aren't going to be able to keep it full. They will clean up a 55-gallon drum of food in hours. It all depends on how many bears you have and are there browns in the area too. I have a whole flock of Stellar Jays that have figured out how to get at anything I put out. They will jump up, hit the barrel with their beak and wait for food to fall out. They stash the food in the spruce trees and come back for more. Crows and Ravens hit it too.

Don't worry if it gets left empty for a short time. That is where scents come into play. I like the gallon jugs of Raspberry Jelly Doughnut syrup. I pour it on trees as high as I can reach, on logs and rotten stumps. They will dig up the ground around trees just looking for the source of the scent.

Last edited:

mark knapp

Reaction score
I have watched some videos where they refill the morning of the hunt and others where they do it more often. What is the best method and most cost effective as well.
I think the key is, never let it go empty. If it goes empty, the bears learn real fast that the site has nothing to offer and quit going there. Once they quit going there, it's very hard to get them to come back and maybe never will.

Back in the old days, when you could put out as many baits as you wanted, we had as many as 13 baits out, we'd put them out while the snow was still good with a snow machine. We ran baits on the Manly road. We could, at that time rent the baits, by the day, to people that wanted to get a bear but didn't have the time or equipment to put them out. We used 55 gallon drums of Kentucky Fried Chicken grease. We would bring them empty drums all winter and they would fill them, we'd keep cycling them through. We'd usually have about 30 drums by the beginning of baiting season. 55 gallon drums don't come empty often but they do sometimes. Then we'd replace them right away.

The best we ever did was have 95 hunters take 98 bears. We never hurt the bear population because there was only one road in a vast wilderness drawing bears from thousands of square miles. We had a bow hunter take three bears. We had one hunter get three cinnamon bears and we had a rifle hunter get three bears in one night.

Have fun, be safe and shoot bears.

I just read Dave's response. My deference to him. He has had different experiences than we did and your results may be closer to his than ours if you guys hunt in similar places.

Last edited:

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
I just read Dave's response. My deference to him. He has had different experiences than we did and your results may be closer to his than ours if you guys hunt in similar places.
I agree with you Mark. The State is so big and the areas so diverse, any answer may be like the reaction warnings to medications. You just never know. I've had lots of bears and then a sow in heat comes along and takes every bear in the neighborhood for a run around the mountain.

Teamsully

Reaction score
I think the key is, never let it go empty. If it goes empty, the bears learn real fast that the site has nothing to offer and quit going there. Once they quit going there, it's very hard to get them to come back and maybe never will.

Back in the old days, when you could put out as many baits as you wanted, we had as many as 13 baits out, we'd put them out while the snow was still good with a snow machine. We ran baits on the Manly road. We could, at that time rent the baits, by the day, to people that wanted to get a bear but didn't have the time or equipment to put them out. We used 55 gallon drums of Kentucky Fried Chicken grease. We would bring them empty drums all winter and they would fill them, we'd keep cycling them through. We'd usually have about 30 drums by the beginning of baiting season. 55 gallon drums don't come empty often but they do sometimes. Then we'd replace them right away.

The best we ever did was have 95 hunters take 98 bears. We never hurt the bear population because there was only one road in a vast wilderness drawing bears from thousands of square miles. We had a bow hunter take three bears. We had one hunter get three cinnamon bears and we had a rifle hunter get three bears in one night.

Have fun, be safe and shoot bears.

We have been successful at our stands but looking at a more economical approach as this is just my 2nd full time season doing it. Still a rookie

Teamsully

Reaction score
I agree with you Mark. The State is so big and the areas so diverse, any answer may be like the reaction warnings to medications. You just never know. I've had lots of bears and then a sow in heat comes along and takes every bear in the neighborhood for a run around the mountain.
My buddy has been doing it for 4 or 5 years now and this will be my second full-time season. Still a rookie at it.

Latest posts