How do I get started?

greyinggrayling

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

(I am NOT looking for anyone’s honey hole, nor am I wanting to cut corners on my own exploration. I just need advice to get started).

I want to find a spot to set up my own little bait stand for next year. I live in Anchorage.
How do you start looking? I don’t want to find a spot and accidentally be on top of someone else’s site.
I have the OnX app.
I have a 4 wheeler/tree stand/barrels.

Can we go to ADFG and see where sites were registered in 2022 so I don’t crowd someone? How do you know if you are too close to somebody else? I want to be respectful and safe.

If someone wants a baiting partner for 2023, I don’t mind going in with someone next year to learn. I can help bait and will clean up the site at season end.

33outdoorsman

Reaction score
Can we go to ADFG and see where sites were registered in 2022 so I don’t crowd someone? How do you know if you are too close to somebody else? I want to be respectful and safe.

If someone wants a baiting partner for 2023, I don’t mind going in with someone next year to learn. I can help bait and will clean up the site at season end.

- ADFG does not collect specific bait locations. When you register you give directions, but there is no requirement on how specific they need to be and the directions can be very generic. I think some areas in southeast AK require coordinates. The Kenai national wildlife refuge allows reserved areas based on a draw system; this is the only way I know of to reserve space to yourself. There are baits scattered around north and south of Anchorage in the spring time. It will likely take some trial and error to figure out where you can have some space to yourself.

Good luck on finding a site. Study maps, hike around, put in some time and effort and you should be able to find something. Offering to be a partner is a great idea as well.

greyinggrayling

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I imagine most areas within an hour’s drive from Anchorage are saturated with bait stations. I will wait until baiting season is over before stumbling around in the woods looking for spots so I don’t disrupt anyone’s site.

MacGyver

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I imagine most areas within an hour’s drive from Anchorage are saturated with bait stations. I will wait until baiting season is over before stumbling around in the woods looking for spots so I don’t disrupt anyone’s site.

I would not wait until they clean up there bait station. If they do a good job you will have a harder time finding them? Looking around and not touching anything will not be a problems for the bears, can’t say the same for the hunter. It not likely In the middle of the day bears will be feeding on bait. You need to see how stations are setup, in order to learn the hunter tricks to bring in bears. If it was me I would start looking a lot closer to home.

On a side note, bears being bears are always looking for a free meal. If there around, they will find you. Learn all you can about bears and baiting will bring them in a lot faster.

greyinggrayling

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not wait until they clean up there bait station. If they do a good job you will have a harder time finding them? Looking around and not touching anything will not be a problems for the bears, can’t say the same for the hunter. It not likely In the middle of the day bears will be feeding on bait. You need to see how stations are setup, in order to learn the hunter tricks to bring in bears.
Good points. I haven’t thought of that.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Setting up a station depends much on your preferred hunting method. Mine are set up for archers, traditional and compound. They are also set up for kids plus one parent and me so a child can harvest their first bear. Seating for three. I just used the same methods as whitetails back East. Watch the dominate wind direction, the kids stand has a creek next to it to kill noise. You can talk and even pee in the creek out of the stand. F&G had an excellent video back when I taught the Bear Baiting class. Good luck finding anything close to Anchorage.

greyinggrayling

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just used the same methods as whitetails back East.

Well I can certainly do that. My husband taught me well with hunting white tails.
My preferred hunting method is actually stalking (Elmer Fudd-ing it, I call it). But I would like to draw them in better and have some other female friends join for their first hunts if they want. I have a few friends that want to hunt bear but are too scared to do it on their own.