How big is this Black bear?

Daniel in Ak

Reaction score
Since the season is upon us, and all I can do is look at pictures for now I figured I'd fuel the fire.........oh! how I wish the river was open. Anyhow been showing this picture around and Ive been trying to get an idea on how big he is.So what do you al think? Check out the 7th picture from the left and the last one.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/album.php?albumid=469

Just click on the link above.

Daniel in Ak

Reaction score
your so right about 8 and 9.... Hey was noice meeting you again.....and I saw your advertisment on your truck hahahaha! almost took a picture for the forum.

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
Clearly four feet..........two in the back and two in the front.:p:rolleyes:;):) A guide would quickly add.....plus two feet on each side, left side and right side, so in guide measurments it is clearly a eight feet bear.

Daniel in Ak

Reaction score
Clearly four feet..........two in the back and two in the front.:p:rolleyes:;):)

Priceless......had to read it twice to figure out If I had a smart @sss! here or you where messing with me. Made me laugh once I figured it out.Ill remember to be more specific for you next time lol.

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
Priceless......had to read it twice to figure out If I had a smart @sss! here or you where messing with me. Made me laugh once I figured it out.Ill remember to be more specific for you next time lol.

I edited and it is now bigger........;)

spoiled one

Reaction score
Well, you know there is one way to find out...Shoot it next month, ground score it, and report back with pictures and measurements. It's a shooter for sure. I would put it closer to a seven footer than a six and a half footer. 6'10" squared with a 19" melon.

Last edited:

Daniel in Ak

Reaction score
Well, you know there is one way to find out...Shoot it next month, ground score it, and report back with pictures and measurements. It's a shooter for sure. I would put it closer to a seven footer than a six and a half footer. 6'10" squared with a 19" melon.

No expert here but like you I figured over six and a half foot.HOpefully he comes back this spring.I never did hunt that stand.

theilercabin

Reaction score
6fter

6fter

Almost looks like he has a slight crease in his head, he's definitely a 4/5 year old bear. I would gauge him to square slightly over 6ft and change. He's a good bear for most areas in Alaska, not a skimmpy bear.

Ed M

Reaction score
He's a very good bear but he could still could grow a bit. There is a lot of air under the stomach and the hips could fill out some more. Here's one to compare against. I walked right by this guy as I packed out a slightly smaller one. You can see it wasn't too concerned about me standing right in front of it.

homerdave

Reaction score
now THAT is a nice bear... eating beachgrass, i see

now THAT is a nice bear... eating beachgrass, i see

gotta say that the bear in the pics didn't strike me as anything special... ears seem big, legs are long and a lot of light shows under the belly.
good eater alright, but i would guess him (or her:rolleyes:... head seems a little svelte... hard to say) at <6'.

OzAK

Reaction score
Bait drum size

Bait drum size

How many gallons is the drum? Dead giveaway as to size when you premeasure the drum for comparison. If thats a 55 then it's an OK bear, not a monster but decent. If it's a 30 or a 15 then it's a smaller fish that should be allowed to grow a bit-unless you have a hankerin' for some fresh bear ribs and chops, then he's just right on the tender side of things....

Say Homer D, what's new? PM me if you've a mind to, Later, Oz

six

Reaction score
Glad to hear that this bear is just ok. I wish I always saw 6' plus bears wondering around. 9 out of 10 hunters hunting for blk bear would shoot that dandy. Nice bear.

Daniel in Ak

Reaction score
How many gallons is the drum? Dead giveaway as to size when you premeasure the drum for comparison. If thats a 55 then it's an OK bear, not a monster but decent. If it's a 30 or a 15 then it's a smaller fish that should be allowed to grow a bit-unless you have a hankerin' for some fresh bear ribs and chops, then he's just right on the tender side of things....

Say Homer D, what's new? PM me if you've a mind to, Later, Oz

Thats a 55 gallon drum.And one other note, from the 6 footer that was taken last year in the same area this bear put it to shame. But whatever the case may be, Im meat hunting for several bears this years.

Alaskan22

Reaction score
luuuuuuuuucky

luuuuuuuuucky

Man you guys are lucky to have those blackies there!! The grizz are out here (played with a sow w/3 cubs today) but the unit around town isn't open till May 10th.

Can't wait to see the "success" pics of this bear!

Daniel in Ak

Reaction score
Man you guys are lucky to have those blackies there!! The grizz are out here (played with a sow w/3 cubs today) but the unit around town isn't open till May 10th.

Can't wait to see the "success" pics of this bear!

Dude Im with you on that. Cant wait to see this years bears. The Yukon River is'nt open yet for me, so Im salavating looking at my last years pictures. Good Luck to you this year.