Hooligan/smelt

Cosmoline

Reaction score
One idea I had

One idea I had

I really like King Oscar brisling, and I note that they don't bother cleaning them. Instead they let them stew in the net for awhile while still in the ocean, and apparently their digestive tracts are so fast that after half an hour or so they've self-cleaned. Now I know those are a lot smaller than hooligan, but I've been thinking about trying something like that the next time I go out just to see how it works. Maybe shift them over to a holding pen in the shallows before hauling them in.

Paul H

Reaction score
Salmonslammer said:
Curious to know what you bait the salmon heads for????

Best way I've found to eat smelt is to deep fry them in drakes mix....and use beer instead of H2O. Seems to me the smaller ones make better eating.

Halibut bait. Good in that you only get the bigger but's, little ones can't get them in their mouths.

I'd much rather jig than fish bait, but bait has it's uses, and it's a good idea to have a few bait options when the standby's aren't catching.

Gambler

Reaction score
I have to agree with Paul

I have to agree with Paul

Jig fishing for halibut is the way to go. However, I have found my hook-ups increase substantially when some other people on the boat are fishing with bait. I think the bait scent helps to draw the halibut in. Couple that with the action provided by the jigs and the halibut just can't help themselves. :)

-- Gambler

PS I have often wondered the same thing about the hooligan's effectiveness as halibut bait. Although I have never actually used a hooligan as bait, after jigging with one of those 'needlefish' (wilson darts), which are supposed to imitate the candlefish or hooligan I couldn't keep the fish off of my line. Granted they weren't always the largest fish, but a number of times we would pick up 40 lbers on those little jigs. Our best to date on a 'needlefish' jig is 90 lbs.

Paul H

Reaction score
Having other folks on the boat reeling up the cannon balls and leaving a scent field whiling jigging with a 6-12 oz jig is definately my idea of how to fish for halibut ;)

AKMoran27

Reaction score
Hooligan

Hooligan

I went to 20 mile this morning and caught two buckets full in about 15 min. They are in thick! Yesterday I was down there and it did not look so hot. Now I have to many fish to process. Has any one froze them whole, and how did they taste? I am going to save some whole ones for bait but I have more than I will use for bait. I have a 5 gal. bucket full that I can't process today. Do I just leave them in the fridge and process them tomorrow? Any Ideas?

gr8fl

Reaction score
I froze some whole 2 years ago, then thawed out a package the other night and gutted them, fried 'em, broiled 'em, and enjoyed them immensely.

~tr

hkr

Reaction score
many freez whole and eat whole, head, guts, n'l. if anything, more nutritious. the eggs is favorite of me and many.

coho slayer

Reaction score
Holy thread revival, Batman....

We freeze 'em whole. Cook them that way, too. Some people just think that's gross, so it's kind of a personal preference thing, but the eggs and sperm are some of the best parts.

bobdabuildr

Reaction score
Ijust smoked up about 100 of these little guys. They taste great. What I'm wondering is if I can make some sort of dip/spread out of them. If anybody has a good recipe, please share. :)

Teacherman

Reaction score
Where is the 20 mile area, lol. I drove past the back end of Turnigan arm on my way to Whittier the end of May to go bear hunting and saw a bunch of people dipping. Is there any place in the valley to chase them? Any place on the Big Su that a person without a boat can get them? If anyone in the Valley ends up with a gallon or two to many hooligan I would be glad to help them out :)

Just PM me

thanks

Teach

codwyguy1

Reaction score
I am trying to get information on catching smelt when you are a non resident it seems you just cant do it, is that the case? I have read in the regs about fishing in salt water with no more the 15 hooks but I can find no other information.