Help aging my mnt. goat

Bigmnt

Reaction score
My goat Scored 48 points BC and had 5.75 bases with 9.25 on the lengths. I too thought he would go six years, but I sent in a toothe and it come back at four years. My understanding is that teeth are the most accurate way of obtaining an age.
Big

Alaska_Lanche

Reaction score
Beautiful rug! I don't claim to know enough to give a guess on age, but what's the length and circumference on the horns?

Sorry been out playing in the snow for the past 6 days. :D

Both horns are just over 5.75" at the bases. The right horn is 9.75" and the left is 9.5".

Alaska_Lanche

Reaction score
Nice mount. Your lucky he didn't slide a 1000' by the look of that hill.

I hear ya there. I shot him at 45 yards and he began to roll over twice and I had half a mind to toss my gun down and try to stop the roll with the NFL 40 yard dash down the mountain, but just as I was getting ready to do that the Lord smiled on my and allowed him to stop rolling in a little goat bed you see him in in the picture. Made for some interesting skinning solo though. :D

Alaska_Lanche

Reaction score
Wow, that sure is a good looking mount. Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, what is the size of that bed (twin, double, queen)? I am just trying to picture the overall size. I too would like to have a rug done, if I am fortunate enough to harvest one.

The bed the goat is on is a double and as you can see the torso area is just a bit wider than that. Was surprised how large the bodies on these goats can get. I didn't realize how lucky I was to get a goat of this caliber until I compared the rug size of a couple other goats and just saw how much more there was to a big old billy. In fact this thing squares out bigger than my interior grizzly. Granted the grizz wasn't the biggest bear on the hill, but gives you an idea of the size.

Kotton

Reaction score
That must of been a tough task butchering that Billy on a steep slope like that all bye your self!You must be tough as nails going solo on a goat hunt.Great looking mount,I really like the rug,hopefully one day I'll be man enough to pack out the full cape of one!

LuJon

Reaction score
That must of been a tough task butchering that Billy on a steep slope like that all bye your self!You must be tough as nails going solo on a goat hunt.Great looking mount,I really like the rug,hopefully one day I'll be man enough to pack out the full cape of one!
Nah, he was solo that day but there were 4 of us in camp. The rest of us were hauling out meat from our goats. He just had to show us all up and hold out to shoot the biggest of the trip!

kodiakrain

Reaction score
So Lanche, are ya gonna box that thing up, bring it in to F&G sometime, to know for sure ?

or leave us hanging, wondering ?? It sure is a tough one to see the rings on, would be interesting to know all the measurements, along with age.

Gorgeous Rug tho, did I say that before? Needs to be said again.

That may be my goal for this fall, search out a nice Billie, for a rug mount,.....

(Just like AK Lanche's, :cool:)

Alaska_Lanche

Reaction score

Yeah was only solo for the day, but yeah the butcher/skinning job was probably my toughest to date as having someone help hold the thing on the mountain while I cut would have been way nice. ;)

KR,

Not sure if I am going to drag it into F&G or not yet. Still not on the wall so I'd be able to do it pretty easily.

Had a couple buddies over last night for dinner and they helped me score it and plug the numbers into the B&C "score your trophy" it came out to 52 4/8" which means we screwed up somewhere probably. Maybe I'll just take it to an official measurer and go from there

Alaska_Lanche

Reaction score

LuJon

Reaction score
That was a stud goat man and if I would have had a bit more patience I would have held off and shot his twin in the bed next to him! Oh well that just means I will have to go back.... maybe next year? Perhaps a couples trip is in order!

stid2677

Reaction score
That was a stud goat man and if I would have had a bit more patience I would have held off and shot his twin in the bed next to him! Oh well that just means I will have to go back.... maybe next year? Perhaps a couples trip is in order!

Sorry Jon, but I'm afraid his brother might be being made into a half mount as we speak. I'm sure he has an older cousin around in the same drainage. :)

IMGP0605-1.jpg

LuJon

Reaction score
LOL, that is a great goat as well Steve! You may be lucky I pulled the trigger on the one I did cause if you are right then that one would have died a year earlier! I have about set my sights on heading back in there next year. I am wanting a 1/2 pedestal mount and have just the spot picked out in the house for it! I just chatted up my Taxi and my rug is done and will be waiting on me to pick it up when I get back (only ~6 more weeks to go!!)

Latest posts