Hare hunt...population might be getting close to peak

fishermanjake

Reaction score
I went out for about and hour and a half last night up by Eureka and shot 7 hares. Just trying to make a difference and keep them around a little longer.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome job. Yes I see tracks in places that I have not in years. They are doing well and are plentiful.

sun

Reaction score
Do folks use shotguns when hunting these hares or are they mostly still shots with rimfires?
Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use my Ruger 10/22 and do head shots. If you don't bust them, lots of times they just sit and think they are hiding. From Tuesday evening. Missed 2, saw 3-4 more but could not get on them. Right now shots are close, too many leaves.
View attachment 96754

sun

Reaction score
Thanks.
Cottontails tend to run in circles or loops especially when a dog is chasing them, so using a shotgun is more common here.

willphish4food

Reaction score
Do folks use shotguns when hunting these hares or are they mostly still shots with rimfires?
Or is it just a matter of personal preference?
for me it depends on the brush situation. In heavy brush I often get only running shots, so I use a shotgun in those areas. Also depends on hunter habituation. Hares prefer to sit tight and let their camouflage work, so .22 is very effective and will ruin very little meat. Shotguns can be pretty messy.