Harding Lake; One last cast 2011

Reaction score
Ok your not really casting when your vertically jigging, its the best try at the thread title to describe yesterday..

The lake is close, the ice is still thick, and TGIF. Tin foil hat...check, electronics...check, bucket...check...lets go!

Sapper27 is ready and waiting at the boat ramp at O-dark thiry for Alcanron and I to show up. We go to the usual area...about 110 feet deep, punch some holes and drop in. Its warm enough and no wind to speak of, so we opt not to put up a hut and heater. Alcanon is sporting his tin foil hat and all of us are gazing at the colors on his vexilar looking to mark a fish.

Within less than 20 minutes, Ron puts it to work first (ala tin foil hat) and gets a good bite and brings up the first of the lakers for the day. **** hat, helped to draw in the fish and he (I Hate You) caught the first fish of the day.

Now everyone is excited with the early action and yes it did continue, I was next to hook a laker. And then another within 30 minutes. Not to mention a couple good bites in between. So 3 lakers to the surface in about an hour, so we are already talking, wondering it could be over the 5 count day?

Sapper 27 still had yet to even get a bite, when he notices something marking at about 50-60 feet. He puts his to jig to work at about the mark and Wham! Fish ON! drag screaming, and he lifts his broom stick handle (you need a better rod, just saying) of a ice rod and holds on for dear life. good 10-15 minute fight till he gets the brute up and near the hole...what it s not a laker... "I think its a char" repeated over and over trophy class...wow. The old hog is carefully raised and held for some quick pictures and a length measurement...I estimated at about 30-31 inches at the tail fork and "its so faat and heavvy" girth was not measured but I would say at least 24 inches.

High fives all around....The fish was revived and swam off strong. (I to catch it next year?) Yes I am jealous! Good Job Sapper 27!!

Ron caught one more laker and before noon we had caught and released 5 fish.

The bite dissappeared at around 1 pm, so we rolled up and headed back to town. The ice is still good but changing rapidly daily with the daylight and warmer temps. We only saw 3 other vehicles out fishing on the lake. Dreaming of November already!

Tin Foil Hat
P4220425.jpg

Example Laker
P4220440.jpg

Reaction score
"Its so Faat N Heavvy"

View attachment 48147
attachment.php

View attachment 48148

BigMackinaw

Reaction score
Very nice! I am going to have sunrise service tomorrow at Harding Lake! I can't seem to pull away , heck I even drove out this afternoon to the lake with the wife to check the ice conditions. Looked like most folks walked out to the ice today. I am going by ATV in the morning.

gutleap

Reaction score
Absolutely awesome guys!! You three are the epitome of a laker taker. The grin from ear to ear in those pics says it all. The only thing that would have made the day any better is if I was there. Great fish!!

AKBoater

Reaction score
Hot Dang!!! that's a beast of a char. Caught a dolly that was 28" one time trolling kings. Took me for a run on the trolling rod. Got it close to the boat and at first glance thought it might be a shaker king. Got it in the net and said "What???"

BigMackinaw

Reaction score
We will be there. I can't wait. It actually made the winter go by fast.

Albradley

Reaction score
Yes, tin foil hat is required for the 2011-12 season.

Cool I have a few hundred yard rolls of tin foil on the shelf I just need to make a cool hat and maybe I could get a few fishing lessons...(Learn the ways of the force) And meet You and AlcanRon out and about this summer.I'll provide the beverages lol

BigMackinaw

Reaction score
7 and 7 is required as well when ice fishing............Then it becomes zen ice fishing and all is well:)

Latest posts