GPS Waypoint Labeling

healerf18

Reaction score
Does anyone have a specific strategy for labeling waypoints? Just leave the machine generated default? Label with the fish type caught? The depth? Something else? :hmmmm:

BrownBear

Reaction score
Depends on what I'm marking. I do a lot of shallow water fishing around rocks and reefs, but most are not marked on charts (either electronic or paper). At most you get a wash rock here and there within the shaded blue area along the shoreline. Gotta find em and mark em. I don't even label those. I also mark the edges between two bottom types when that matters. Those don't need labels. Hot spots get a number, and I reference the number in my logs.

akmike30

Reaction score
I hardly ever label
a3f81c3d42fe515ed7a654ccd23b9116.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c6 batmobile

Reaction score
I generally label them with the type of fish caught if I feel its going to be worth a return trip. If not I just use the number as a marker just so its a reminder to maybe stop in there and try if Im feeling up to it.

BrownBear

Reaction score
Had an interesting conversation last night.

A couple of years back my long-time fishing companion and the best king fisherman I've known passed on to the great beyond. His grandson inherited lots, including the boat. He just started a charter business, and confided in me that granddad left behind a very-well marked GPS.

Grandson is a good fisherman in the first place, and with that doctored up GPS, I'd say he has a very bright future on charter.

Makes me reconsider some of my marking practices. No grandson in my wake, but a son-in-law who loves to fish and is good at it. I'm sure he'd appreciate just a wee bit more info on my machine! ;)

Abel

Reaction score
I don't label anythig, usually I know what it is when I look at it. Only 2 spots I have labeled, that's out of a say nastolgic reason where my old man caught his big one or something like that.