Got a new pool toy

Gilliland440

Reaction score
I picked my wife and I up a pair for xmas. We tested them out during our trip to New Zealand a few times. I had a sixty pound pack and I (210ish) crossing the bays during our Able Tasman hike and it was crazy stable. Looking forward to bringing a ram out on it this fall and hitting the creeks in the Anchorage area this summer with it!
-JR

goeaux

Reaction score
Got me a new "pool toy" too-- 6 chamber, self bailing pac raft. Works well in the pool- can't wait to get her on real water!!! Will update with practical river time.

Gilliland440

Reaction score
Here is a pict of my wife try'n hers out in the house .. lol
She is 5'9" and I got her the Yukon Yak
We cant wait to start running the creeks and rivers!
-JR
IMG_0359.jpg

dirtysteev

Reaction score
picked up the same boat three weeks ago. took it on a shakedown of the anchor river saturday, i am sold on the new design. side-by-side tests with the old alpaca showed the new design tracks better in moving water, and definitely responds better to back-ferry maneuvers. the thigh strap addition is coming soon.

mark oathout

Reaction score
Same boat

Same boat

John and I ran the meat of the Little Su today, nice boats.

Attachments

• SANY0385.jpg
    SANY0385.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SANY0371.jpg
    SANY0371.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0

mark oathout

Reaction score
Packraft pics

Packraft pics

Acouple more shots

Attachments

• SANY0367.jpg
    SANY0367.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SANY0379.jpg
    SANY0379.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0

mark oathout

Reaction score
Sprayskirt modification

Sprayskirt modification

Some of you guys are pretty creative with design, I think I need a real sprayskirt, or close, with velcro attached, then it can attach and detach from the Packraft. Or a rim designed on the packraft to hold a skirt. I don't want to be mummfied in my boat, but do not like floating in it either. Any ideas, or takers, on a project like this?

goeaux

Reaction score
You could always buy a self-bailer and do away with the skirt altogether.

mark oathout

Reaction score
pr's

pr's

I always loved that attribute with the IK, I would love to test drive one. Getting out when eddies are lacking, or back in, is so much easier in a self bailer for sure.
However, for a second or two after they fill up, they will dog on a ferry, if you need to do one, but the water weight, with momentum, pushes the boat straight out of holes pretty well. I also think a decked boat resurfaces more evenly, but is more floppy in bigger waves.
But, I wonder if a combination may be the answer. Part of the fun, for me, is trying different types of boats anyway.
One thing I do know is they are lighter than my IK's, and every year those hills seem alittle taller.
Thanks, you may be right.
MO

goeaux

Reaction score
Mark I too love the ik's, my favorite boat by far. That said the self bailing pac-raft bails throughout the whole floor, not just on the sides - which gets the water out much faster.
Goo

Gilliland440

Reaction score
Mark,
I posted our trip down Willow on Youtube. They shut off the sound so I will have to give you a copy w/ it... makes it flow better. Look up Gilliland440 and it will show up under my uploaded movies. Along w/ a few other videos I made while working down in Mexico.
-JR

goeaux

Reaction score
Mark get in touch with me, I just got a new one in you can take for a ride.
Goo Vogt
ALASKA WILDWATER

mark oathout

Reaction score
boat

boat

I saw the feathercraft in action the other day, and I thought Jim's take on this was interesting. In his words.
"I run a whitewater kayak school in Ak, and we have a 2 day packraft class where we teach packraft students to be better whitewater paddlers. I have been using the Bay Lee I all summer. Have over 100 hrs paddling the self bailing boat. IT IS a PACKRAFT. I really like the "no water" in the boat. Yes the boat is heavier, but now, if I plan to run class III or higher, I take the Bay Lee I, even though it weighs 6 lbs more. I really like not having a spray cover to contend with. I have had mishaps in small boiling eddies trying to get the spray deck on my Alpacka, only to get swept out and now dealing with no skirt, and big waves or holes.
The Bay Lee is stiffer,and the inflated floor makes for a stronger hull, all charateristics that help it perform in demanding whitewater.
I do not consider it to be a "dingy". Bow and stern have rocker, and the stern does have a larger diameter tube size than the middle of the craft.
It surfs very very well. We run the same section of river for our class, there is one wave that is a great surf wave: easy to stay on in the Bay Lee, I could not get enough speed in my Alpacka to stay on the wave last week.

Durability: I think the Bay Lee is going to stand up to the demands of whitewater, all of the Alpackas we own leak, and they are only one season old. Values leak, and small nicks in the tube leak. Took me 5 tries to find the leak in one boat. Finnally I just started putting aquaseal on every nick, like 6 of em, one must have been correct because it no longer leaks.

The Bay Lee I self bailer is a PACKRAFT Style boat that has a place if you are pursuing whitewater in your packraft, It is the boat I will take to Ecuador for our month long whitewater packraft trip...... no water in the boat, no spray deck to monkey with.... what's not to like....."

mark oathout

Reaction score
Feathercraft

Feathercraft

I got a chance to use the boat, in the picture, on Moose Creek , at 260 cfs, and I was impressed. Knowing the run well, I admit I was nervous, and even commented to John, about bandersnatching my boat, in one of the many, boat sized, holes we were about to pass through. Not a problem... I really thought I would swim a couple of times, but was happy to stay in the boat. However, we did have two swims, one ugly one, but no one was hurt.

The self bailing feature is super duper great, it drains very fast, almost instantly. While the other guys dumped their boats, I stretched and watched.

The Go-Pro's were out, in force, and you can probably find a youTube soon.

Although the run was not at the intense level, it was good, everyone went home pumped for the next trip.

Take a look at this style of packraft, and try one.

Attachments

• SANY0185.jpg
    SANY0185.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0