Ghost buck

Reaction score
One more deer season winds down. I just can’t get enough calling blacktails.
This year I got beat by a big one. I was walking into a muskeg about a half mile from the beach. About 200 yards from the ‘skeg my phone rang. Forgot to turn it off. My Alice in Chains ringtone blaring loudly. Got it turned off before too much of the guitar riff played. I stopped about 50 yards away from where I wanted to make a call to let the area cool down from my entrance. About 10 minutes into the wait I saw movement below me but just a little here and there. It was very thick with cedars and blueberry and Labrador tea. I could now and again make out a white chest patch. Not making a sound or even moving the brush this deer maneuvered to within 30 yards or so from me. With the scope on 3 power I was looking for horns. All I could see in the thick was his neck and head minus the horns. I could see his eye searching for something. It was an old eye, greying around the edges. And below his eye was a scar. The dark patch on the crown was visible and greasy looking like they look when they are rubbing. I knew it was a buck. I had a good shot but I could not confirm what I knew to be true. In a split second, he vanished.
As I walked up into the muskeg about 75-100 yards on the other side I saw a rack with too many tines to count dancing above the 6-7’ bull pines and back into the thick. I just smiled. Not the first to best me. Won’t be the last either. They don’t get big being dumb.

4merguide

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how "things" play out. Had you been standing just a foot or two to the left, or right, you may have been able to see what you needed. It's almost like they know that if you're standing "right there" you can't see me. Just think that if you spent an entire lifetime just walking around your house, you'd get to know every square inch of it pretty darn well. Better luck next time...

murphydog

Reaction score
During one of my most memorable days bowhunting deer I never drew back the string. Bucks sparring with each other, a buck nose to tail of a non cooperative doe, a cruising bruiser with his tongue hanging out, things were definitely happening that day. Got my heart going many times and a day I wont forget.