Fly Tying Newbie

900fusion

Reaction score
Not to sure on books, but a few good starters are flesh flies, leech patterns, glo bugs, anything to do with bunny fur is a good start. in the fly tying section there are some step by steps that might help you out. if you ever need help shoot me a pm and i can try to help out the best i can.

TOMCOD

Reaction score
Fly Patterns for Alaska. It doesn't show you how , but it has a good picture and description and recipe. You can get it at any flyshop. Also Flies for Alaska by Tony Route.

cube01

Reaction score
Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris is a GREAT book to learn from... Step by step instructions on a large amount of popular flies.... I recommended this book to everyone I talk to who is just starting out.

-Cube

FishHuntress

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I just started an have beentying all day. Wolly Buggers are kind of a pain as well as messing with hackel for the first time but, it's getting easier with every little trick i learn. Thanks for the advice. Off to Sportsmans Warehouse :)

cube01

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I just started an have beentying all day. Wolly Buggers are kind of a pain as well as messing with hackel for the first time but, it's getting easier with every little trick i learn. Thanks for the advice. Off to Sportsmans Warehouse :)

If you are heading in from Eagle River, World Wide Anglers and Mountain View Sports are both closer (and local.)
WWA is on 63rd and Lake Otis, (basically Dowling and Lake Otis.)
And MtnView Sports is across from the university center mall on the old Seward.

Have fun!!

kenaibow fan

Reaction score
honestly save your money don't buy books.......youtube it! If you see one you like in a store remember the name and youtube it. Or I guess you could by the fly and look at it to figure out what goes were and so on and so forth.

FNG IN AK

Reaction score
honestly save your money don't buy books.......youtube it! If you see one you like in a store remember the name and youtube it. Or I guess you could by the fly and look at it to figure out what goes were and so on and so forth.

Agree. I took an 8-hour class at Mountain View Sports, just to get started from absolute zero -- and the instructor recommended YouTube as the continuing education venue of choice. Looking around, you can find instruction from Brits who tend to inject that low-key kind of humor that could make you chuckle even as you inadvertently stick yourself with a 2/0 long shank.

Latest posts