Fly out pike in Early Aug.

motorboatn

Reaction score
I have my Father in law hooked on Pike fishing. He will be up here in Aug from the 4-12th. He would like an overnight trip and wants a chance at larger fish. We have done figure 8 , Lake Alexander. I'm fine doing un guided and actually prefer it.

Can any suggest a company place that offers over night trips unguided? A cabin would be nice but a tent is always a possiblity for shelter.

Thanks for any advice!

Armo_Ak

Reaction score
rick gold

rick gold

I'd recommend going with rick gold out of Fairbanks. $250 per person gets you a flight, 2 nights in a cabin and jon boat with 5 h.p. motor to go in. He can fly you out to several lakes around Fairbanks for pike and trout.

We have had a good time at Rick's place. The cabins have propane stoves and bunk beds and while not luxurious sure beat a tent.

His prices are cheap and the fishing can be very good. We had a lot of fun trolling top water frogs and running sub surface flash flies for visible strikes.

http://www.akpikefishing.com/

Last edited:

kahahawai

Reaction score
Pike charter

Pike charter

Rick Gold out of fairbanks, he'll fly you into Minto flats where some of the largest pike in the state are at. He provides the cabins, boats with a 4 Hp motor, gas,water and cook stove. All you have to bring is your food, gear and tackle, sleeping bag and rain gear. he is located on the Pumphouse Road, he has two planes on floats. I did this trip several years ago, I'm sure he's still doing it, you will NOT be dissappointed.....

kahahawai

Reaction score
Oops .....sorry, I didn't see Armo's post.....but I do recommend this guy, if you go take a 8 or 9 weight fly rod, with pike flies....you'll have a blast.

Four of us went in his 185 on floats and we all caught and released so many pike we stopped counting....3 of the four us caught a 40" pike or bigger.

stid2677

Reaction score
+1 for Rick Gold with Marina Air, Great guy and a fair deal. We have always caught nice fish.
IMGP0066.jpg

IMGP3100.jpg

IMGP0042-1.jpg

IMGP0036.jpg

Steve

motorboatn

Reaction score
Nice pictures

Nice pictures

Makes me want to leave as soon as the ice opens up!

Anyone have any thoughts about going in early Aug?

As long as Rick is still doing the fly outs I'm going to book with him.

Armo_Ak

Reaction score
prime time

prime time

Early august is not prime time for pike. The water has warmed up and they are more lethargic. Ideally you would go after ice out or before re-freeze.

This is not to say fish will not be there in August or willing to bite it is more a comment on their general activity level. The places Rick goes have so many pike that no matter what the time frame you will probably get into some fish.

Latest posts