Flight tests

AKBEE

Reaction score
I was reading about the check-ride’s between July 2018 and June 2022 with Don Lee will have to be re-tested. How the heck are that many pilots supposed to re-test with such short notice at this time of year? I am not a pilot but I have heard pretty great things about the man.

upstreamV

Reaction score
My guess is make the earliest possible appointment for a check ride then contact the FAA and ask for an extension on the two week grace period. Will that work? Who knows? It is certainly worth a try.

What exactly does one do, or fail to do, in order to invalidate that many check rides? What a mess. It would be interesting, and informative, to know the why of this situation. I hope everyone, including the designee, soon sees this issue fade into their past.

beachbunny

Reaction score
Had that happen down south when I was working on commercial.
Examiner was sending them around the patch solo and passing them.they all had to retest.
Any accidents reported from this guy?

Float Pilot

Reaction score
I have known Don for 30 years. I also know that some FAA folks hated his guts ever since he had to involve a Senator against the FAA 17 years ago. Basically he save a plane full of toursit from a severe flutter event and made it back to Talkeetna. Everyone ( AOPA, TV, ect>) thought he did a great job. But a couple folks at FISDO did not. They said he should have done an emergency landing in winter conditions... So they yanked a bunch of his tickets. He fought it along with help from Senator Stevens. And he eventually won. Certain folks do not like to be second guessed.

Last edited:

AKBEE

Reaction score
Float Pilot:
I was hoping you would respond. Thank you. I sure hope things get resolved as I know a lot of pilots relied on him for certs. Stay safe and Happy New Year.

Float Pilot

Reaction score
I believe it is only Instrument check-rides and CFI-Instrument check-rides. UNLESS the pilot has since done some other more advanced rating. The Feds have been extremely vague about whatever caused this ruckus.

Float Pilot

Reaction score
Many Alaskan pilots I know personally are afraid to make any statements supporting Don because they fear the wraith of the Federales. Based on my experiences, I can certainly see their reasoning.

AKBEE

Reaction score
Many Alaskan pilots I know personally are afraid to make any statements supporting Don because they fear the wraith of the Federales. Based on my experiences, I can certainly see their reasoning.
Thank you again. That video is pretty amazing. Can’t imagine staying that cool in that situation, much less trying to reassure the passengers!