Flies For Silvers ; Need Advice

danattherock

Reaction score
I Recently Moved To Nome From North Carolina And Admittingly Know Squat About Salmon Fishing. I Would Like To Know What Flies You Would Reccomend For Silvers. I Will Be Heading Down To Anchorage In A Few Weeks And Could Pick Some Flies Up Then. Any Suggestions On Where To Purchase Flies In Anchorage Would Be Very Useful. To Date, I Have Only Been To Mcaffeys Fly Shop And Sportsmans Warehouse. Thanks In Advance For Any Insights You May Offer.

Docins

Reaction score
Silver flies

Silver flies

Check with Mountain View Sports They have a wide selection of flies and are very helpful on all types of fly fishing for salmon.

Kid

Reaction score
fly shop

fly shop

Yes, I like Mountain View too. Once you know what type flies you want you can order from Fly Shop, Redding California or Cabela's.

MT

Reaction score
Silver Flys

Silver Flys

Kaufmann Streamborn cataloge has some great Salmon (Silver) and Steelhead flys. You can order a cataloge on the internet. They ship out of their Portland store. Good stuff. My favorites are, Hot Shot Comets, Egg Sucking leech, Wiggle tails and bunny leeches. All in Pink, Chartruse, Purple and Orange. The people at Sportsmans will get you started. Hope you have a great Silver season.

Kid

Reaction score
thanks MT

thanks MT

for the steer, I will look forward to another source of flies. Kid

AK+AZ

Reaction score
The fly patterns suggested above are all good. Just make sure you have a variety of different colors. I 'd go to Sportsman's Warehouse because their flies are relatively inexpensive; probably lower quality as well. But I found them to be adequate for Silvers.

LBenz

Reaction score
char fishing

char fishing

For the next month the char and grayling fishing in your area will be excellent- pick up some small smolt patterns while you're in town.
LBenz

DRIFTER_016

Reaction score
Yeah, he ain't the sharpest balloon in the world.
laughingdog.gif
laughingdog.gif
laughingdog.gif

danattherock

Reaction score
All BS aside, recommend some silver flies.

Middle Kenai, Sept 10th, 20' Willie Predator, 7-8 wt rods.

What would you throw?

danattherock

Reaction score
This one looks killer too.
If you're ordering some grap me a couple will ya?
wink2.gif

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.co...lama-pink-white-2/detailed-product-flyer.html

Done. I will bring you a few in some different colors. Least I can do for all you do for me. I got the pink/white, olive/white, etc.. at the house now and will be buying some tutti frutti as well. I will pick up a couple extra pink/white and olive/white dolly llamas for you.

Want some tutti frutti?

e3516cc353fbe6de02ac631813136730.jpg

I was just at the site putting some ideas together and found this article about silvers.

Very cool write up from Mark....

Thank you:topjob:

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com/how-to-articles/the-coho-a-users-guide.html

danattherock

Reaction score
ICB,

Dayum. That is some pretty stuff. Remember Lenny in "Of Mice and Men" he couldn't let go of the girls silky hair. That fly could have the same effect.

G-Smolt,

Thanks for the suggestion on the Haymaker. Placed my order 20 seconds ago though. ha ha...

Dave,

Ordered you two each in olive/white, pink/white, and tutti frutti:topjob:

Dolly Llama - Tutti Fruiti

Dolly LLama Olive & White

Dolly LLama Pink & White

S&B\'s Super string leech - Black #4

S&B\'s Super String Leech - Pink #4

Dolly Llama - Salmon Pink & White

Hareball Leech - Aleutian Queen 1/0

Hickman's Party Boy - Purple

Thunderhead Mega moal - Fuschia #2

Now we ready to go silver fishing:)

danattherock

Reaction score
Found another dainty offering.

Got half dozen of them to try out.

Either will catch fish or give them a heart attack:)

6037926941_4afe4d1a37_o.jpg

icb12

Reaction score
ICB.. Really nice Photo and good looking fly

Thanks, but I can't take credit for that. Not my photo or fly. It's a pic I saved from speypages, so I could copy the fly for myself.

I'm tying a lot of squidros. They cast better, sink faster, last longer, and swim better than llamas or other leeches.

Dan: That behemoth WILL catch fish.

Latest posts