fish ages

Whitefisher

Reaction score
laketrout can live over 60 years or more,, artic char-harding ? how long -- rainbows stocked-Quarts,,,silvers stocked mebey 5years ,,pike 30 years,,burbot,,25 years,, whitefish 5-6 years. landlock kings,?? graylin -25 years we need to get the hatchery to stock splake a cross of laketrout and a char in the harding-,,,,instead of those stirle mud tatsen slivers that die in 5 years ,,waste of 60 million dollor hatchery funds.....

Bill S.

Reaction score
No to splakes. Silvers are genetically programmed to die in about 5 years. BTW, you really need to run spell check, never heard of a sliver fish.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
Splake are a cross of a male Brook Trout and a female Lake trout.
I am not sure we really need to start stocking new species in Alaska.
I wouldn't exactly called landlocked silvers sterile. I fish a lake that has Landlocked silvers in it but hasn't been stocked for over 15 years. Yet we still catch them regularly and of decent size. 1# fish are fairly common in this lake and we have caught them upwards of 3# or so.
I have eaten lots of them and they taste like Salmon to me. Nothing like mud but then again I have never fished Harding lake.

Whitefisher

Reaction score
yes a brook trout is a char so is a lake trout but it was allright to put lake trout and char and rainbows in there . its a closed system how long do the char live.. stocked in 1990. with all 3 .. why stock a lake with slivers up here do you know why ???

Whitefisher

Reaction score
a lot of things change with time 30 years been fishing harding were did the char come from stocked.....cant hurt stocken splake....rainbows not native north of alaska range...all stocked......

Latest posts