First load development for the '06. Any tips???

MikeStaten

Reaction score
I've got everything together: resized the cases, trimmed all to same length, deburred, cleaned primer pocket, deburred flash hole etc... Now I'm ready to actually start load development. I'll be shooting all rounds from the same Rem 700. I'm going to start with H4350, Federal 210 primers and 165 Grain ballistic tips. Was thinking of loading three rounds with 54 grains, 3 with 54.5, 3 with 55 etc... all with the bullet seated at the maximum length until I find a decently accurate round and then play with the seating depth. Does this make sense at all?

Thanks,
Mike

ADfields

Reaction score
I've got everything together: resized the cases, trimmed all to same length, deburred, cleaned primer pocket, deburred flash hole etc... Now I'm ready to actually start load development. I'll be shooting all rounds from the same Rem 700. I'm going to start with H4350, Federal 210 primers and 165 Grain ballistic tips. Was thinking of loading three rounds with 54 grains, 3 with 54.5, 3 with 55 etc... all with the bullet seated at the maximum length until I find a decently accurate round and then play with the seating depth. Does this make sense at all?

Thanks,
Mike

Sounds like you are off to a good start and I only have 2 suggestions for now.

1> Only change one thing at a time so you are more sure of what made a problem.

2> Tell us what bullet and powder you are using as well as what you want (hunt, compete, etc) from it. From there someone may have a better starting point for you and save you some time.

Andy

marshall

Reaction score

Thanks,
Mike

Sounds good to me. 57gr of H4350 and CCI 200's ended up being the best load in a Ruger M77 Hawkeye 30-06 that I load for. COL was 3.365, .025 longer than SAMMI max. I used the Accubond, it's the same shape and BC as the Ballistic Tips. The Accubond has a thicker skin, it should go a bit deeper before it opens up.

MikeStaten

Reaction score
It will be used for whitetails, and the occacional black bear. 99% of shots will be within 150 yards.

pinehavensredrocket

Reaction score

Thanks,
Mike

hi mike; sounds like you have this reload business pretty well figured out, but i have a suggestion for you. as wacky as the market is these days i suggest you find a QUANTITY source of powder, then develop your loads. that way the ammunition can be duplicated.

i recently started using 4831 as an alternate to my favorite of 4350, because it is available in quantity. since i like 165gr-180gr in the 2700fps range, this hasn't been a hardship.

**without being a hoarder, i look for components and buy when available.

best of luck to you!

walk-in

Reaction score
hi mike; sounds like you have this reload business pretty well figured out, but i have a suggestion for you. as wacky as the market is these days i suggest you find a QUANTITY source of powder, then develop your loads. that way the ammunition can be duplicated.

i recently started using 4831 as an alternate to my favorite of 4350, because it is available in quantity. since i like 165gr-180gr in the 2700fps range, this hasn't been a hardship.

**without being a hoarder, i look for components and buy when available.

best of luck to you!
This is good advice. It doesn't do much good to work up a load only to find that you will have problems duplicating it because you can't get powder. That is precisely the reason I use only 2 different powders for my hunting rifles (4831 and 4064). I've never had problems getting them (even recently), and they perform well in the guns I use. I also buy my powder in 8 lb. jugs and start thinking about getting more when I get down to a couple pounds.

Murphy

Reaction score
I can't imagine how bad life would be without a good 30-06 and a bunch of H4350 powder. I use 58.0 grains in Lapua brass with CCI-200's or Fed-210M's and any 160 to 170 grain bullet. I've never been disappointed with the results. Life is good.:)

Marshall/Ak

Reaction score
Does powder go bad after awhile?

Yes, it does. But not for a long, LONG, LONG time. Storage in a cool, dry, and dark environment is key. I just sold some H4831 powder, manufactured during WWII, that was still entirely good and useable...:eek:

Marshall/Ak

Marshall/Ak

Reaction score

Thanks,
Mike

The 165gr is also my preferred weight in the 30-06. H4350/IMR4350 are both really hard to beat in an 'o6, but I've found that Reloader 22 gives better velocity (quite a bit better) Get a pound of it and try it...
Like, how does just over 3000fps sound? (in a 22" barrel) (and still a grain under max, per the listed in manual)

Marshall/Ak

Win94

Reaction score
56 Grains of H4350 is a laser beam in my Remmy 700 with a 168 grain Nosler Combined Technologies bullet.

DSCN0193.jpg

DSCN0194.jpg