First float trip

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
I go on my first float trip next weekend with a buddy, Cooper to Jim’s Landing, overnight on the riverbank half way through.

I have my salmon rigs figured out, but I need some advice on how to set up my trout rigs… I’d like to set up several bead rigs in advance. I’ve never fished for trout in this area, so I’d like to know what you guys use for leader set ups…

Tapered leaders? Or build my own? Leader length? What size tippet? Blah blah blah, and so forth.

All help is always appreciated!!

AKFreezerFiller

Reaction score
My leader setup is pretty simple. 1’ butt section of 25lb mono, 4-5’ of 15lb, 3-4’ of 12lb, 18” of 8-10lb fluoro tippet. I pre-tie my tippets in a Pip box for quick changing.

Gary

Reaction score
I usually use a mostly straight leader. Butt section is 18"-24" of 30 or 40 test mono; 8-10' of 20 or 25 test floro and tippet (usually start with 2' or so of 8-10 lb floro - when it gets down to a foot or so, replace). I've been also using a small swivel between the tippet and the running leader; it lest me get away with less split shot. Strike indicator any where on the heavy floro, but for me usually at/near the butt section.

sea2summit

Reaction score
My leader setup is pretty simple. 1’ butt section of 25lb mono, 4-5’ of 15lb, 3-4’ of 12lb, 18” of 8-10lb fluoro tippet. I pre-tie my tippets in a Pip box for quick changing.

People still do that?:thescream:

I do for myself but man the extra dollar or two is sure worth it for a smooth tapered tippet.

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
People still do that?:thescream:

I do for myself but man the extra dollar or two is sure worth it for a smooth tapered tippet.

For me personally the issue I’ve run into with tapered leaders is you pay $10-15 for 2 or 3 of them and when they get short they’re almost useless… I’ve found that I’d rather put that money towards other line and build my own to whatever length I want.

Now I agree they are easier and much smoother. I still use one and keep a few handy for fishing the stocked lakes and plucking out little guys, but if I’m fishing big water and looking for big(ger) fish I’d rather build my own to the strength I’m looking for

Docins

Reaction score
I usually just use a straight leader of 12# maxima ultra green about 10 ft. then add 18 inches of 8# fluorocarbon to the hook. attach split shot above the fluorocarbon with a sight indicator onto the leader

sea2summit

Reaction score
For me personally the issue I’ve run into with tapered leaders is you pay $10-15 for 2 or 3 of them and when they get short they’re almost useless… I’ve found that I’d rather put that money towards other line and build my own to whatever length I want.

Now I agree they are easier and much smoother. I still use one and keep a few handy for fishing the stocked lakes and plucking out little guys, but if I’m fishing big water and looking for big(ger) fish I’d rather build my own to the strength I’m looking for

I don't think my sarcasm came through enough.