Firearms while traveling to Yukon Territory from AK?

Smitty of the North

Reaction score
SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points
My only real issue with the paperwork required to take guns through Canada is that I don't trust our government not to request those records from Canada at some point in the future. The Canadian import/transit forms contain all the info you need to create a de facto registration system without actually going through Congress to get authorization for it. Simply call it a regulation of foreign commerce, and all the sudden the feds have a record of my guns by model and serial number.

Thanks for the TIP.

SOTN

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
My clarification is this. When I go on vacation I will bring one of my pistols with me. I am going to HI later this week to my folks house that is in a nice town with good people but I still bring my firearm. Going to Montana in August and will bring several. I tend to avoid vacation destinations, for the most part, where guns are prohibited. Yes, I do want to visit NY. It will be a long weekend type of vacation but I will not take a weapon. I follow the firearms laws as best I can as I enjoy my right own firearms. I would not enjoy being a felon and loosing that right. Basically my wife and I plan the majority of our vacations where we can drive rather than fly. In doing so, this usually requires an overnight in a hotel during our drive to and from that is not always the Ritz Carlton. When I can legally take a gun I do when I can't I don't. That is why I asked you fellas here. Most have the knowledge and advice I needed.
May want to check Hawaii's laws concerning handguns.

walk-in

Reaction score
Depending on how the Supreme Court interprets "commerce," that may be entirely legal wand within the purview of the Federal government.

If, by spending money abroad, such as buying food, gasoline, souvenirs, etc., one is engaging in "commerce', then yes, the Federal government (specifically, Congress) has the right and authority, under the Commerce Clause to "regulate" ones carrying of firearms by keeping a record of it (as well as anything else you carry on a trip).

If a private individual's spending abroad is not considered "commerce" then no, Congress can't track what you carry abroad.

It is an interesting question of Constitutional law you have stumbled upon. Even in the first example, where does Congress' authority, under the Commerce Clause, end, and where does the individual's Fourth amendment rights begin? I have to admit that what you suggest is quite plausible, and most private citizens would not even be aware of it.
I'm not suggesting that I agree with this interpretation of "commerce." The real problem is that federal agencies have broad authority to interpret the scope of their own powers. If we had an administration that wanted to, and a relevant federal agency/department (ATF, USCIS, etc.) made a "regulatory" decision, it would be difficult and time consuming to fight. The agency would claim that they were simply acting under statutory authorization from Congress and their own interpretation of the law, and the Congress could claim that the statute in question ultimately derives from the Commerce Clause. Not that we would ever have an administration in power that would be interested in that kind of thing....

FL2AK-Old Town

Reaction score
Canukistan??:question: Whats that all about?
Contrary to what you might think, even in a 3rd world country such as "Canukistan", you will be safer than walking down the street in Santa Barbara.

Let's not confuse anybody with the facts, shall we?

(I tried to rep you, but I guess it's been too soon since the last time you said something rep worthy.)

FL2AK-Old Town

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting that I agree with this interpretation of "commerce." The real problem is that federal agencies have broad authority to interpret the scope of their own powers. If we had an administration that wanted to, and a relevant federal agency/department (ATF, USCIS, etc.) made a "regulatory" decision, it would be difficult and time consuming to fight. The agency would claim that they were simply acting under statutory authorization from Congress and their own interpretation of the law, and the Congress could claim that the statute in question ultimately derives from the Commerce Clause. Not that we would ever have an administration in power that would be interested in that kind of thing....

I whole heatedly agree with everything you've wrote here, and no, we would never elect a government who would abuse authority in that way. Would we? LOL

Skrap

Reaction score
May want to check Hawaii's laws concerning handguns.

i am aware of HI laws. Similar to CA laws.

Canukistan??:question: Whats that all about?
Contrary to what you might think, even in a 3rd world country such as "Canukistan", you will be safer than walking down the street in Santa Barbara.

It's a joke. Surely you have heard the term before. I would imaging there are far safer towns and cities in Canada than the US as a whole.

Not sure why many of you seem to think it is so odd that I take a pistol with me on my vacations or trips. Maybe since AK is one of the freest stares with regards to firearms it is just second-nature to you when you travel about AK, IDK?

mlshore

Reaction score
Not sure why many of you seem to think it is so odd that I take a pistol with me on my vacations or trips. Maybe since AK is one of the freest stares with regards to firearms it is just second-nature to you when you travel about AK, IDK?

Seems like more trouble than it's worth. I don't take guns into Canada, myself, although that may change if I take that backcountry fishing trip I've been meaning to do. Don't need 'em and you never know when you're going to run into an agent who's not really up on the regulations.

I'm not sure why you'd ask here, rather than calling the Canadian Firearms Centre, the Canadian Border Services Agency, or one of the border crossing stations.

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
i am aware of HI laws. Similar to CA laws.

It's a joke. Surely you have heard the term before. I would imaging there are far safer towns and cities in Canada than the US as a whole.

It's not that it's so odd. Heck I'm currently on vacation and I'm carrying. Although the gun has spent most of the trip in a case. Other than my three shooting sessions.

What at I don't understand is if your familiar with the laws of Hawaii, why take it? Unless hints have changed since I was a Hawaiian resident, you have three days to register your gun with the local PD. No high capacity mags (10 or more is high capacity). And if you don't have permission to carry its a felony. The state of Hawaii doesn't recognize any other states carry permits.

I had planned on driving up through canada this summer and bringing my stash up with me. I decided against driving. It's much easier to fly with my guns than drive with them.

walk-in

Reaction score
It's much easier to fly with my guns than drive with them.
I don't know about that. It should be, but the problem is that a lot of airlines have their own individual policies that go beyond what is legally required. I flew to the Lower 48 with a rifle in December. On my return trip (but not on the trip down) they wouldn't allow me to check it through to my final destination. They said they couldn't check firearms onto other airlines' connecting flights. I know that isn't true because I had done exactly that on the way down there. I had to claim it in Dallas and re-check it. What a PITA. Exit security, go to baggage claim, get the rifle, check it again with the other airline, go back through security. Yet another reason to hate commercial flying post-9/11. Things used to be so much simpler.

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
I don't know about that. It should be, but the problem is that a lot of airlines have their own individual policies that go beyond what is legally required. I flew to the Lower 48 with a rifle in December. On my return trip (but not on the trip down) they wouldn't allow me to check it through to my final destination. They said they couldn't check firearms onto other airlines' connecting flights. I know that isn't true because I had done exactly that on the way down there. I had to claim it in Dallas and re-check it. What a PITA. Exit security, go to baggage claim, get the rifle, check it again with the other airline, go back through security. Yet another reason to hate commercial flying post-9/11. Things used to be so much simpler.
Who did you fly with? We only fly Alaskan air. Makes it a little easier. Heck right now I'm debating whether or not if I should mail three rifles or carry them. I don't mind carting them through airport but I could use that extra baggage spot on some other odds and ends.

walk-in

Reaction score
Who did you fly with? We only fly Alaskan air. Makes it a little easier. Heck right now I'm debating whether or not if I should mail three rifles or carry them. I don't mind carting them through airport but I could use that extra baggage spot on some other odds and ends.
We were on Alaska and American. Alaska wasn't a problem. American was. They couldn't even show me a written policy to back up what they were saying, but what are you going to do? It's an argument you can't win.

FL2AK-Old Town

Reaction score
It's a joke. Surely you have heard the term before.

Not necessarily. I never heard that term until I came to Alaska.

I would imaging there are far safer towns and cities in Canada than the US as a whole.

Yup. And they do it without everyone carrying guns.

I don'tknow how to respond to this. I guess I'll respond to your question with a question. Why do you not find it odd to carry a gun into Canada? Canada assures you no basic human right to gun carry. Unless you're on a hunting trip, why not just leave the gun at home?

FL2AK-Old Town

Reaction score

The airline didn't check your bag to your final destination on the way down, YOU checked your bag to your final destination. When you left the secure area of the airport and went to baggage claim and went back through the check-in process and re-checked your bag with the second airline, YOU did what the airline would not do for you.

PS: thus far, Alaska has been the easiest airline for traveling with guns and ammo, not that any airline has been particularly bothersome.

As to you coments about post 9-11 air travel...agreed.

walk-in

Reaction score
The airline didn't check your bag to your final destination on the way down, YOU checked your bag to your final destination. When you left the secure area of the airport and went to baggage claim and went back through the check-in process and re-checked your bag with the second airline, YOU did what the airline would not do for you.

PS: thus far, Alaska has been the easiest airline for traveling with guns and ammo, not that any airline has been particularly bothersome.

As to you coments about post 9-11 air travel...agreed.
You can split hairs however you want. The bottom line is that I checked it in Fairbanks and didn't have to do anything with it on any of my connections from there to my final destination. On the return trip, because the airline wouldn't allow it, I got to experience the joys of TSA multiple times with tight connections in multiple airports. My original point stands. The airlines are inconsistent and do not all simply follow the letter of the law. They have their own individual policies and interpretations of policies which they may or may not be able to explain or back up in writing. There is nothing to be gained by arguing with them....especially since the person you're dealing with is likely just the messenger. You'll just end up being "the guy with a gun who caused a scene." It's just another annoyance connected to commercial air travel these days. In my own experience, the Canadians have been more accommodating and easier to deal with than the airlines.
On the bright side, I have convinced my wife that it would be easier to simply buy a new gun in the Lesser 48 next time we're flying and I plan on hunting down there and then shipping it back to myself.

Smitty of the North

Reaction score

Oh, Nooo. Think God that could never happen in the United States.

Smitty of the North

Smitty of the North

Reaction score
You can split hairs however you want. The bottom line is that I checked it in Fairbanks and didn't have to do anything with it on any of my connections from there to my final destination. On the return trip, because the airline wouldn't allow it, I got to experience the joys of TSA multiple times with tight connections in multiple airports. My original point stands. The airlines are inconsistent and do not all simply follow the letter of the law. They have their own individual policies and interpretations of policies which they may or may not be able to explain or back up in writing. There is nothing to be gained by arguing with them....especially since the person you're dealing with is likely just the messenger. You'll just end up being "the guy with a gun who caused a scene." It's just another annoyance connected to commercial air travel these days. In my own experience, the Canadians have been more accommodating and easier to deal with than the airlines.
On the bright side, I have convinced my wife that it would be easier to simply buy a new gun in the Lesser 48 next time we're flying and I plan on hunting down there and then shipping it back to myself.

I'm sure you're right. That is in line with what I've heard also.

You can't count on what the Airlines will do. Or the Post Office, or any of the Shippers.

Does anybody have any horror stories about taking their guns through Canada, or into Canada?

Smitty of the North

AlaskaHippie

Reaction score
Does anybody have any horror stories about taking their guns through Canada, or into Canada?

It ain't my horror story, but I watched it unfold.

I was waiting in line in my car at the border, headed into Canada. Had my .44 Super Blackhawk, with the proper forms. The rig in front of me pulled up to the booth, and I saw the driver pass over his papers, the Canadian Customs Gal chatted him up for a minute or two, next thing I know there are 3 beeeeg guys in Customs Uniforms coming at a trot. They have him pull forward into a parking/holding/anal probe zone and after the driver and what I learned later was his 20-something son got out the agents started unpacking his rig (Mid sized pickup with a topper).
The gal in the booth waved me forward, I provided my passport, firearm forms and after a few formalities I was told I could proceed. Curiosity was red lined so I asked what was up with the fella in front of me. She said he had undeclared weapons in his truck and hence the search.

I was driving from the States back home, and sure enough I ran into the guy and his son a couple days later somewhere around Ft Nelson (if memory serves). And got the "rest of the story", it seems the guys son enjoys paintball, and when the Customs Gal asked if the had any "weapons" the kid stated "Just paintball guns"....Likely the word "guns" was all it took. The Dad told me they where detained for almost 3 hours as their entire truck was searched, and they where held in the main building. The paintball guns where allowed through as I recall, but man, what a PITA.....