Favorite 375 JDJ hunting load?

Vance in AK

Reaction score
I picked up a Contender in 375 JDJ (SSK barrel with rib & SSK brake. My dream gun for years) and am looking to put together some moose/bear loads.
I know 4895 & H322 were the powders JD recomended but both have been impossible to come by for me.
Anyone ever try BLC2? I found one load for an Encore carbine... Figure their starting load would be a safe place to sttart.

Whats your favorite hunting load?

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have "The Complete Reloading Manual for the TC Contender" and it is incomplete in that it doesn't cover that round. I have barrels for 30/30, .357 Maximum, .44 Mag., .445 Super mag. Fun gun to shoot.

LeonardC

Reaction score
Hodgdon #26 lists B2C2 for 220 gr bullets. Other powders for other weights.

Horn. 4th ed. lists 375 JDJ loads.

Accurate #1 lists 375 JDJ loads.

PRDATR

Reaction score
I picked up a Contender in 375 JDJ (SSK barrel with rib & SSK brake. My dream gun for years) and am looking to put together some moose/bear loads.
I know 4895 & H322 were the powders JD recomended but both have been impossible to come by for me.
Anyone ever try BLC2? I found one load for an Encore carbine... Figure their starting load would be a safe place to sttart.

Just pick something in between. I've always had good luck with Accurate Powders. H322 was my go to powder for 223 in my Contender with a 14" barrel. I could cover a group with a dime. H335 always left some unburnt powder behind. Back in the late 80's I could get MilSurp for under $5 a pound at the local gun store in Hodgon 1 pound plastic jugs.

https://loaddata.com/images/articles...techartnew.pdf

Last edited:

PRDATR

Reaction score
Over on the Savage Shooters Forum they created a subforum, Break-Action Pistols, and there is a discussion on the 375JDJ.
I'm sure they can give some handy advice.

bottom_dweller

Reaction score

Can you chronograph your loads?

Latest posts