Fall Black Bear Hunt (gonna happen but of course I still have questions)

JuliW

Reaction score
Last time I talked to a charter operator (taxi service) and asked if they could drop us where the animals were they QUICKLY said, sorry, but if I did that I could get in serious trouble. I didn't realize at the time there was such a law...Obviously the statute as it is written has SOME charter operators playing it safe. Better to err on the side of caution?

I would suggest to Tex- Hunter that he contact Fish and Game and get 'their' take on the matter.

steeliekingfisher

Reaction score
I too would recommend contacting the state, not only the F&G but Trooper station just to be sure. I drove a boat for a couple seasons in SE for a lodge and transporter. We were instructed that we could not tell people where to hunt or where game was, we could only drop off and pick up, and that is exactly what we did. Law may have been changed or may have been misinterpreted by my boss, I don't know?

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
Honestly it seems everyone assumes the prescouted area was scouted from the air. That doesn't have to be the case.

wags

Reaction score
Honestly it seems everyone assumes the prescouted area was scouted from the air. That doesn't have to be the case.

Scouting from the air is not the issue. The problem is scouting in any manner and then directing (guiding??) your clients in that direction. It doesn't really matter how or if they are scouting at all. But if they are advertising that as part of their service they are crossing the line at that point.

I've seen Alaska transporters at sportsman's shows in the lower 48 who don't even state that they're transporters, they advertise "Moose Hunts", etc. They don't say that they are guides but they sort of mislead unwitting hunters by what they don't say.

Latest posts