End is approaching

catchfish

Reaction score
Managed to get out today after dropping the kiddos at school. Tried a new spot and did not realize how much time it was going to take me to get there. Shooting was slow but averaged a bird every 30 mins. Every bird that decoyed never left except for the last drake goldeneye. Ended with 4 hen goldeneyes and a greenhead.

Attachments

• BF33BF00-D2A8-40AA-AF22-942E4ED3BE25.jpg
    BF33BF00-D2A8-40AA-AF22-942E4ED3BE25.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0

4merguide

Reaction score
Goldeneyes don't count....

JUST KIDDING...!!!.....lol

I, for one, know I will be sad to see the end. It hasn't been real great shooting, but being out there and getting at least one or two birds makes it all worth while. I love bird hunting...!!! These late season greenheads have really been beautiful...!!!

catchfish

Reaction score
Went out yesterday expecting a hot barreled hunt after what I saw a couple of days before. Only ended up with 1 greenhead and one goldeneye.

sayak

Reaction score
Managed to get out today after dropping the kiddos at school. Tried a new spot and did not realize how much time it was going to take me to get there. Shooting was slow but averaged a bird every 30 mins. Every bird that decoyed never left except for the last drake goldeneye. Ended with 4 hen goldeneyes and a greenhead.
What kind of dekes were you using? Did the mallard come in on the dekes?

4merguide

Reaction score
Going out one more time this Saturday. And yes, 4mer, goldies do count :lol:

Well I usually don't ever shoot the things anymore. But last year I shot the first one I have in many years. Surprisingly it wasn't half bad eating....of course I did soak it in salt/vinegar water overnight too.....lol.

sayak

Reaction score
Well I usually don't ever shoot the things anymore. But last year I shot the first one I have in many years. Surprisingly it wasn't half bad eating....of course I did soak it in salt/vinegar water overnight too.....lol.

I just roast the little buggers with bacon and onion on top. Small, but people eat doves and snipes and such too. I really like they way they look.

sayak

Reaction score
It's not the small I'm talking about.....doves don't taste like old dead fish! Used to have some great dove shoots back in the day. Now THAT can be all kinds o' fun...!!!
No fish taste! I've only found them full of green matter. I don't know what they were eating, but not fish. But hey, people eat saltwater divers and they really do taste like fish! Catchfish, what did your goldies taste like?

catchfish

Reaction score
It’s like a game of roulette one will be ok, then the next will be fishy, I have the same problem with the mallards around here as well. But I’ve watched mallards eat rotten salmon so I at least know why. I was using goldeneye decoys and yes the one mallard circled the dekes a few times on a few occasions I finally decided he wasn’t gonna get any closer. The one the other night dropped out of the sky and was shot a couple feet above the water.
I just pulled the mallard dekes the last 2 trips but I normally run 3 all year unless I’m on the salt.

sayak

Reaction score
It’s like a game of roulette one will be ok, then the next will be fishy, I have the same problem with the mallards around here as well. But I’ve watched mallards eat rotten salmon so I at least know why. I was using goldeneye decoys and yes the one mallard circled the dekes a few times on a few occasions I finally decided he wasn’t gonna get any closer. The one the other night dropped out of the sky and was shot a couple feet above the water.
I just pulled the mallard dekes the last 2 trips but I normally run 3 all year unless I’m on the salt.
Maybe I'm attracting vegan goldeneyes:lol: