Dumb lead head jig question

healerf18

Reaction score
Any tips on getting consistent hook ups when using big lead head jigs? For the life of me I've tried everything I can think of, but I miss way too many strikes from big fish. The jig just pops out of their mouths (and yes my hooks are sticky sharp.) I've tried immediately setting the hook hard, reeling down on the fish before setting the hook, and everything in between. Still can't get consistent hookups.

Any thoughts? :hmmmm: Thanks!

vaaler

Reaction score
1) Have a very close look for tooth marks in your jig tails. I would bet that most of the strikes you are missing are from tail-biters. Some of those bites are from big fish, but most are from fish a little to a lot smaller than the ones you are targeting. If you want a higher bite to hook-up ratio, add a stinger hook. 2) Another part of your problem may be that you are using jigs with 10/0 hooks, the size used on most commercially made (e.g. Kahlin) 12 oz and 16 oz jig heads. A big grub blocks too much of the throat of a 10/0 hook. Look around for jigs made with 12/0 hooks. You should be able to find a local guy that makes them. 3) A bare lead jig head is almost invisible at 100+ feet down, especially if you are using a glow/uv color, so the fish sees a smaller target, with the hook very near the front. Most fish don't inhale big baits - the grab them, chomp on them a while, then spit them out so they can swallow the bait head first. That first grab may not be far enough up on the tail to catch the hook. Encourage the fish to grab more of your jig (enough to catch the hook) by using painted jig heads, preferably that match the tail color.

healerf18

Reaction score
This is a GREAT review. Things I had never thought of. Thanks so much!

Rob B

Reaction score
Another thing to try is to jig in small movements. Meaning don't bring your rod tip very high at all then let it drop back down. 10-12" rod tip movement is plenty when jigging big grubs. It will let them grab it and get a bigger bite that way too.

Sobie2

Reaction score
As a sucker for new fishing gear, anyone tried those Chasebait Ultimate Squid baits being advertised all over? Another gimmick? Regular jigs still work just fine. Great info Vaaler!

Sobie2

tlingitwarrior

Reaction score
As a sucker for new fishing gear, anyone tried those Chasebait Ultimate Squid baits being advertised all over? Another gimmick? Regular jigs still work just fine. Great info Vaaler!

Sobie2

I bought a half dozen of them. They have worked out extremely well for me. Have used them for rockfish, lingers and halibut. Very versatile and will be a staple in my tackle box for as long as they make them.

Abel

Reaction score
Put a little smelly jelly on it, a little stink, soft bait and they will suck it down like a cheap hooker. Let em hit it the first time, then let em suck it down and nail em. One short quick stroke and you got em.

Sobie2

Reaction score
9d605e30a44920e130efbf43ed7e1269.jpg

I rigged mine up with 6 oz jig heads and a 7/0 assist hook. Will add herring oil or squid oil and hope to drop them this weekend!

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbflyer

Reaction score
9d605e30a44920e130efbf43ed7e1269.jpg

I rigged mine up with 6 oz jig heads and a 7/0 assist hook. Will add herring oil or squid oil and hope to drop them this weekend!

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking setup.

russellclifton

Reaction score
Sobie 2

That set up looks killer!! Can you tell us how you attach that trailing hook ? Is it tied to the shank of the leading hook?

Sobie2

Reaction score
Russellclifton,

It is a Gamagatsu assist hook looped off the leading hook. The fish report is that the local rockfish inhale these things! But I couldn't find a halibut all day. Sometimes in the fall (late august) the Juneau halibut (Local Halibut Union 99801) all seem to take a break and disappear for a week or so. So they might be on break... but I couldn't find any to test the jigs on.

Sobie