Dulling the sounds of zippers:

jim - alaska

Reaction score
I need some ideas on how to quiet zippers, either on a tent or back packs. I like to run a quiet camp and really don’t like making all kinds of noise getting in and out of the tent. On days when it’s dead calm, it’s amazing how loud a zipper can be.

JIM

cold zero

Reaction score
metal zippers

metal zippers

have you tried replacing the noisy metal zippers with paracord? it will cut down on the metalic metal on metal sound.

Les Staley

Reaction score
Just wait a while..

Just wait a while..

When you get to be my age, you won't hear the zippers, or anything else for that matter... HTH.. Les

WinMag

Reaction score
slow and easy...

slow and easy...

Try zipping slow... Much quieter that way... Never tried it but may you could try rubbing them with paraffin wax... Would be kind of a water proof lube...

jim - alaska

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the input.

I like the wax idea. I was thinking about Vaseline, but I believe its oil based and would break down the fabric. I like the zippers, sealing in the heat, so I’m not sure if I want to replace them with cord.

Thank to all for the input.

JIM

AlleninAlaska

Reaction score
Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and
Have you ever been close enough to a moose to hear what they sound like when stripping willow branches? Sounds just like a zipper being pulled up or down.I sat about 5 yards away from a cow moose back in 1995 up on the Holitna River just listening to her strip willow branches.

WinMag

Reaction score
wax...

wax...

the paraffin wax idea is something I have experimented with quite a bit... never on zippers but on lots of other stuff...

Petro based stuff attracts way too much dirt and some of them are scented... (not a good idea)... It also rubs off or away....

I've used the wax to quit my plastic boots... It does not attract dirt, is waterproof and lasts a long time...

Tony G

Reaction score
Bowstring was works well. It comes in a nice packable tube also.

Latest posts