DLP (I hope) today VERY near Petersburg (Video Link)

.338WM

Reaction score
If I recall the "D" in DLP means "defense". No "defense" there that I can see. If it was a DLP within city limits then for the average joe public to kill an animal and call it that they would actually have to be defending their life or property. Otherwise, if it was a problem bear it would have been called in and the DLP would have been done by a trooper or city cop.

Just because there are houses around doesn't mean it's city limits. Lots of folks live in subdivisions outside city limits and are free to safely kill a legal animal....

The issue is location. I think DLP was mentioned because only a DLP could justify shooting around homes inside city limits (there are several close homes and scores of homes within 1000 yards. FYI moose hunters have been cited in the same spot recently (a couple years back).

Could care less if it's a dlp if you have a tag in your pocket, the season is open, and you can legally (and safely) shoot and hunt in the area. I used to buy a tag every fall during moose season just to save the paperwork in case there was an issue.

My biggest concern was definitely gun safety. When the older fella pulled up and the kid was in front of him I bout crapped. Looked like at the end the kid had a slide action pistol in his hand as well......which he seemed to flail around.

Why has this been labeled as a DLP? It looks like there're hunting bears within the season dates in an open area.

Did any of you guys read the comments under the video?? A guy witnessed this, posted the video and left this comment.....
Go check it out again... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zct1LPphHXE&feature=youtu.be

"Watched this one from my porch across the Wrangell Narrows. I hope it is a learning experience for the kid. I also hope it was a legitimate DLP and not lazy hunters dropping a bear not more than 250yrds from a house. Video shot with a Canon PowerShot SX40HS at 140X, from .36 mile, so it's as good or better than you would expect. No more shots and bear was recovered by a loitering boat."

Thus my question posted earlier:

Now as to the video, that short clip has all the appearance of a person shooting a bear all for the purpose of shooting a bear. I saw nothing to indicate a DLP situation whatsoever. Is there factual evidence that this was event was illegal?

4merguide

Reaction score
Thus my question posted earlier:

I doubt very much there was anything illegal about it. Just some anti hunting guy that got pissed off and posted the video for all the rest of the antis to see and rally around.....

(Oh and btw, I saw your post earlier and meant to answer but spaced it out.)

.338WM

Reaction score
I doubt very much there was anything illegal about it. Just some anti hunting guy that got pissed off and posted the video for all the rest of the antis to see and rally around.....

(Oh and btw, I saw your post earlier and meant to answer but spaced it out.)

My thoughts exactly.

RainGull

Reaction score
I'm no scholar on the many laws and statutes we live under, but it seems to me that if I lived on a very small island and a bear got into my chickens and killed a few, killed my dog, ransacked my garden and then hung out on the island, that a strong case could be made that it was a defensive action to then hunt the animal despite a lack of immediate urgency(seems almost foolish at that point to wait for nightfall for it to come at you again). I'm not making a statement about the law, as I am not sure how the law would look at such a hypothetical (and it is strictly a hypothetical), but I know how I would look at it. That's all I was trying to say.

Clearly though, from what I have gathered this was no DLP and was simply hunters that saw an (ill advised and in fact illegal) opportunity and took it.

.338WM

Reaction score
I'm no scholar on the many laws and statutes we live under, but it seems to me that if I lived on a very small island and a bear got into my chickens and killed a few, killed my dog, ransacked my garden and then hung out on the island, that a strong case could be made that it was a defensive action to then hunt the animal despite a lack of immediate urgency(seems almost foolish at that point to wait for nightfall for it to come at you again). I'm not making a statement about the law, as I am not sure how the law would look at such a hypothetical (and it is strictly a hypothetical), but I know how I would look at it. That's all I was trying to say.

Clearly though, from what I have gathered this was no DLP and was simply hunters that saw an (ill advised and in fact illegal) opportunity and took it.

How do you know it was "in fact" illegal?

RainGull

Reaction score
As to the legality, I now suspect the only laws broken are Borough laws regarding discharge of a firearm in the area as it would seem the state does not enforce laws relating to shooting in proximity to houses (though the feds have such a law and might enforce it as well).

4merguide

Reaction score
As to the legality, I now suspect the only laws broken are Borough laws regarding discharge of a firearm in the area as it would seem the state does not enforce laws relating to shooting in proximity to houses (though the feds have such a law and might enforce it as well).

Understand, that at least around here anyway, you can still live in a "borough" but NOT live within city limits and it's perfectly legal to SAFELY shoot a legal animal right out your front door no matter how many other people's doors are around. It's when you get inside city limits is where you can't discharge firearms....."UNLESS" of course, you are in immediate danger and protecting yourself or property.

AlaskaHippie

Reaction score
If I'm reading this right, the video was shot in Wrangell Narrows. Having been through there more times than I can count, if this took place on the Petersburg end of the channel, there are homes EVERYwhere, and if I recall, the town limits extend quite a fair chunk down the passage.
'Gull lives in that neck of the woods, and is likely pretty savvy as to where it is legal or illegal to hunt....

willphish4food

Reaction score
So a person fires a gun in the opposite direction from a house, with 200+ yards of water separating them from each other, and the person watching from the house is all bent out of shape. So the two hunters weren't the model of gun safety, but they took a shot at a bear standing broadside, with a very dense background to stop the bullet, and then pursued the animal after the shot. We don't know if the initial shot was lethal or not; but if they returned to the boat with the dead bear, they sure did something right!

AlaskaHippie

Reaction score
Ok, since we're playing "What If?"...

What if there was a home 20 yards behind the bear ( a bunch of brush does not a backstop make)

What if the bear was shot inside city limits?

What if it was reported as a DLP, but wasn't?

Honestly, it may very well have been a legit hunt, and I hope so. I'm basing my reservations on the fact that RainGull lives in the area and likely has a better grasp of the situation. The video is innocuous, and the "What If's" endless......

FL2AK-Old Town

Reaction score
There is no way, NO way, that is a DLP shooting. (Some other type of legal hunt, who know, but no one could call that DLP.) Of even more comical note, is when the two guys run to the right, after the bear runs to the right, and the guy draws his rifle for a follow up shot just as the other guy runs in front of his rifle. Awesome.

RainGull

Reaction score
So a person fires a gun in the opposite direction from a house, with 200+ yards of water separating them from each other, and the person watching from the house is all bent out of shape. So the two hunters weren't the model of gun safety, but they took a shot at a bear standing broadside, with a very dense background to stop the bullet, and then pursued the animal after the shot. We don't know if the initial shot was lethal or not; but if they returned to the boat with the dead bear, they sure did something right!
Not sure why the folks with no immediate knowledge feel free to jump to conclusions and then condemn somebody based upon those ill informed conclusions whilst, (let's get this straight) asserting that the original poster is jumping to conclusions? Rich...

FYI there are homes on all sides of the island including several houses within 250 yards on the island. Honestly I don't really care if it's legal or not, actually I care more whether it is ethical (pity our laws have become so disjointed from what's right) and in my view the idea of hunting bear in such close proximity to so many houses is a really bad idea. Too many things to go wrong in experienced hands let alone the kid in the video. It is inside city limits, it is far too near far too many houses and personally I have a problem with that. I get that many on here don't and honestly I hope they don't come for a visit. As mentioned several people have been cited for taking moose in the same spot and not because they were sub-legal. Not sure why everybody is so pissy about this but I guess we obviously have very different ideas about what is right and what is wrong. End of story.

Amigo Will

Reaction score
Ya like Wrangell the city limits are huge but they just consider the loop as no firearms. Luckly here no one would hunt in your front yard anywhere on the island and if they did a crab pot is probably in their future.