DIY waterproofing

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
Just wondering what people are doing to waterproof materials that normally are not or have lost their durability.

I’ve seen some things online about silicone and naphtha, looks pretty good as far as results go. Has anyone tried this method yet?

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
What materials are you looking at?

I agree with silicone. There are some things I might use it for. Boat, never. Even if you clean the surface correctly it seems to degrade over time in the sun.

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
The methods that I have seen done with silicone are mixing it with mineral spirits, or some other sort of thinner and then applying it directly to your material. A common one I’m seeing online is people taking cotton bedsheets and turning them into waterproof tarps. I have also heard that you could then apply it to jackets or anything else, and theoretically make it waterproof.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
For cloth I have heard of Thompson Water seal being used. I've never tried it. I have used some silicone sprays on jackets. Seems to work for a while until you wash it several times.

kobuk

Reaction score
The methods that I have seen done with silicone are mixing it with mineral spirits, or some other sort of thinner and then applying it directly to your material. A common one I’m seeing online is people taking cotton bedsheets and turning them into waterproof tarps. I have also heard that you could then apply it to jackets or anything else, and theoretically make it waterproof.
I am curious as well. I've watched a few vids of other people doing it too. It's more of a process that goes into the cloth instead of sprayed on top of. I have a canvas tarp that I use to cover the bed of my 6x6 and it isn't waterproof at all. Was thinking of trying something on it. I imagine that it will stink to high heaven until it dries and might be something to do outside in warmer weather. Not sure. I think you should try it on something and let us know! :cool:

MacGyver

Reaction score
I am curious as well. I've watched a few vids of other people doing it too. It's more of a process that goes into the cloth instead of sprayed on top of. I have a canvas tarp that I use to cover the bed of my 6x6 and it isn't waterproof at all. Was thinking of trying something on it. I imagine that it will stink to high heaven until it dries and might be something to do outside in warmer weather. Not sure. I think you should try it on something and let us know! :cool:

Canvas tarps/tents need to be treated to make them waterproof. Tent and tarp have waterproofing spray for canvas.

When I need to protect anything from the weather. I start by putting a sheet of plywood on the top. This keeps the water from making any pockets in the tarp and removing any snow a lot easier. I used two blue tarps over the plywood.

kobuk

Reaction score
Yes, this is a treated canvas tarp that I bought from AIH. It's green in color and has something in it. One of the things I was thinking was using Canvak, which is what we use on our two wall tents. I get what you are saying to support it so water can't pool but for this use it isn't a problem. I built a rack of sorts for the back of my 6x6 and the tarp just kind of gets laid over stuff. It has worked pretty good the last few years but we didn't have the rain like this season. I don't use a plastic tarp because of how easy they get damaged and they are even less waterproof if in contact with something else.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
I have waterproofed Carhartts that way. Makes them like Tin Pants.

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
I’m not necessarily looking for comfort of the pants, but more interested in whether the process worked or not. I’m not interested in waterproofing my pants

MacGyver

Reaction score
I’m not necessarily looking for comfort of the pants, but more interested in whether the process worked or not. I’m not interested in waterproofing my pants

Instead of telling us what you are not interested in waterproofing. Why don’t you tell us what you're wanting to waterproof?

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
For a canvas tarp, I would just go with a liquid silicone like Atsko Water Guard. There are plenty of similar brands/products available by the gallon. Don't think it's worth the expense and effort to attempt concocting a DIY mixture.

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
For a canvas tarp, I would just go with a liquid silicone like Atsko Water Guard. There are plenty of similar brands/products available by the gallon. Don't think it's worth the expense and effort to attempt concocting a DIY mixture.
Hadn’t heard of that, so I looked it up and seems pretty simple for sure. Going to have to give it a try

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
Instead of telling us what you are not interested in waterproofing. Why don’t you tell us what you're wanting to waterproof?
Anything from old snowmachine covers, canvas, bed sheets, making my own covers for various equipment, old tent fly’s, etc…

Latest posts