Delta buffalo

sunfish

Reaction score
I just tried to do a delta bison hunt under the reorganized season and this is what I saw.
First let me say I am not bashing fish and game here a lot of animals died over the winter and this is what it looks like now. No animals on panaramic or gerstle field and their Hasn’t been for a long time, all on private ground, where you have to pay for access. Tried to go around and hunt the back side of that one property on state land only to get a shake down from a local for trying to use a public right of way. So as of now unless you are willing to stand in line at a ranch gate waiting your turn to spend thousands of dollars you don’t have a chance. Hopefully some move on to public land but right now they are all on the same property where they wintered last year, and word on the street is even after fish and game tried chasing them off last winter they aren’t moving. So in short if you have a tag for this year be prepared to shell out the money or stay home. Let me say again this isn’t a complaint about mismanagement. I am happy to still have an opportunity but right now they are not on public ground and it’s not looking good.

HuntingGriff907

Reaction score
The above post about the Delta bison hunt this year is very accurate in regards to the private ground. The amount is $2k with a line of people waiting at the gate for "their turn" to "hunt". On the other hand, all of the local residents and landowners we've dealt with this week have been beyond friendly except for one unique individual. The friendly conversations with landowners have been very refreshing, honestly.

The imminent closure has created a sense of urgency, albeit may be warranted due to winter kill. I'm not a biologist, but the experience of this hunt is dramatically different compared to yesteryear. Hopefully they can get a proper tag allotment allowing all participants a full season. My honest fear is that they will continue the high tag numbers to generate more draw revenue while implementing closures every year.

Bill S.

Reaction score
I have the tag with a hunt start date of Oct 29th. I have no problem paying a reasonable access fee because, after all, it is their property. I did get a letter from a landowner inviting me to hunt there with the caveat that I would have to pay a "trophy" fee of $2000 if I take one. The land is theirs the bison are not. So I will hope and pray that the bison move over to public land or to property where the owner will allow hunting and only charge a reasonable access fee.

Bill S.

Reaction score
Ok. My wife gav e me a reality check. This will be my only opportunity to hunt bison. Given the 10 years between drawing the tag and being eligible to even apply for the drawing again, I'll be too old to do the hunt even if I drew the tag first time eligible. She is urging me to bite the bullet and if necessary go ahead and pay. We will see what happens. If the bison are still only on that property, I may have to pay.

Alaska Gray

Reaction score
I see already for next year it's bulls only and 50 tags. So the adjustment has been made to let the herd grow again. Hopefully, we will not have a hard winter this year. Next, I would like to see them is to adjust the NR tags.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep a list of previous years hunts so I know what I might want to apply for. I see several adjustments in caribou, moose and buffalo. Hopefully the changes will help our wildlife.

Alaska Gray

Reaction score
I keep a list of previous years hunts so I know what I might want to apply for. I see several adjustments in caribou, moose and buffalo. Hopefully the changes will help our wildlife.
I do the same and that’s how I base my hunts and see how they adjust numbers.
Also, look for trends. In other states like Oregon and California they shut down the salmon for a few years when this river was hit bad with low numbers. They didn’t care about guides or anything. It was about the salmon. Amazing few years later they have a healthy population again. Maryland and Virginia did the same thing for the strip bass back on the 80’s and early 90’s. Now they are booming. Hunting other states I apply to have adjustable scale. When things are bad they will cut the non resident permits out before shutting down the residence hunters. Their 10% allocated non resident draw permits per species are fluid. They remain at 10% or go down. Something to think about up here. Start with this and move upwards.

Latest posts