Deer calls for blacktails

dahlenburg

Reaction score
Been doing some reading on deer calls and keep coming across recommendations for Hank Masters deer call which are apparently made in Alaska but google is not turning up much on these. I'm curious if anyone is familiar with these and if they are still made or available anywhere near Anchorage or surrounding area.

Also curious if anyone is familiar with AKTIS deer calls that look to be made in Wasilla. https://aktisblacktaildeercalls.com/
These look intriguing but curious if anyone here has first hand experience with them.

I have a home made call with a rubber band but didn't seem to have much luck with it so looking for different options. Welcome to all options that people find useful of had had success with.

Mike.Records

Reaction score
These work well for me. Seems the key is to make it as high pitched and distressed sounding as you can. Find a doe to practice on with it!

4merguide

Reaction score
I have a home made call with a rubber band but didn't seem to have much luck with it so looking for different options. Welcome to all options that people find useful of had had success with.
Believe it or not those homemade calls work just fine. There just has to be deer in the area to hear them.

Reaction score
The best reed for my calls that I make is friction tape. Cut the tape approximately 1/4 inch in width and plenty long as to have plenty sticking out both sides of call. If you don’t cut it straight, you’ll end with fuzzies on it and it won’t sound right. When preparing the wood area where the reed will be, I sand the area rather than carve with a knife. This allows for enough wind to pass over the reed to make it “sing” but won’t wind you in the process. Making your own is very satisfying. It takes a few to get one you like, but after building my own, I would never use another.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
Believe it or not those homemade calls work just fine. There just has to be deer in the area to hear them.
I had a store bought one like that when I was a kid. It worked. Later as an adult, a friend and I were using blades of grass between our thumbs and imitating the old call. Right at dark. We were bow hunting. We finally heard something and flipped on our trusty Eveready flashlights. Dim by todays standards. we had called in a BLACK BEAR.

dahlenburg

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do plan on making a couple of my own eventually but really wanted to try something that was pre-made to get an idea of what it should sound like. Was afraid that with my home made one with rubber band I was sending out a warning to stay away instead of saying come on over. I went ahead and ordered one of the AKTIS calls and will see how it works this year as long as the weather cooperates and I can make it out this year.

deerhunter88

Reaction score
Here's one I recently crafted from spalted birch. They're pretty easy to make. You just have to split some wood with a saw, remove the inner material with a dremel tool/wood engraving bit, and sand. Lots of sanding. Use a little strip of friction tape for the reed.

Attachments

• Compress_20220930_144922_2696.jpg
    Compress_20220930_144922_2696.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 17

dahlenburg

Reaction score
Here's one I recently crafted from spalted birch. They're pretty easy to make. You just have to split some wood with a saw, remove the inner material with a dremel tool/wood engraving bit, and sand. Lots of sanding. Use a little strip of friction tape for the reed.
Looks nice. Do you glue it back together or just use the cord to keep the two halves together? I have the friction tape and going to try using some cherry wood and cedar I have around.

deerhunter88

Reaction score
Looks nice. Do you glue it back together or just use the cord to keep the two halves together? I have the friction tape and going to try using some cherry wood and cedar I have around.
No glue. I just make my own lanyards from paracord, tie a tight slip knot into it and when you tighten it up it holds it together well. The channel that you may the reed across, you only want that to be about as wide as a penny.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
The one I bought when I was a kid was plastic with a rubber band. Blacktails loved it.

MacGyver

Reaction score
I had a store bought one like that when I was a kid. It worked. Later as an adult, a friend and I were using blades of grass between our thumbs and imitating the old call. Right at dark. We were bow hunting. We finally heard something and flipped on our trusty Eveready flashlights. Dim by todays standards. we had called in a BLACK BEAR.

I also had the same caller for several years. It was not until I went on a Black bear hunt with the guy mention in previous hunt that I saw just how effective a simple caller could be in the hands of someone that knew what he was doing. After that I never felt comfortable calling bears, when surrounded by brush.

Cliffhanger

Reaction score
I bought a Hank Masters call about 5 years ago, but I can't find him on the WWW anymore. That Deer Stopper call from Sportsmans is a good second choice. I like a fawn bleat because you can really project with it, as opposed to a grunt, and put some feeling into it. I cup my off hand and swing my head left and right when I call to cover a 100 degree area in front of me with sound.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
We used to just whistle to get them to stop for a look or shot.

Reaction score
Nice job! You are an artist! My calls are more utilitarian. I seem to always need to pull the call apart to clean or adjust the reed. I have yet to find a good way to secure the reed and still have quick access when needed.

dahlenburg

Reaction score
Want to thank everyone for the responses. Finally got a couple of calls made up and pretty happy with how they turned out. Used friction tape for the Reed and getting it the right width was the hardest part. Some day I may use a more exotic wood but for now these should work.

Made it out once the 2nd week of October but not much sign of deer around us so didn't get to test them out. Hopefully can make it out again before the season ends.

Attachments

• 20220930_190411.jpg
    20220930_190411.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221005_201046.jpg
    20221005_201046.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 14

Alaska Gray

Reaction score
I made my own. Small piece of wood 4 inch long. Cut it down the middle. Made a small nick in the middle of it. Got a thick rubber band put it on one of the pieces. Then got the other piece and put it on top. And blew in the middle. I played with the tension on the band until I liked the sound. When I got it. I electric tape it and both ends of it.

deerhunter88

Reaction score
Want to thank everyone for the responses. Finally got a couple of calls made up and pretty happy with how they turned out. Used friction tape for the Reed and getting it the right width was the hardest part. Some day I may use a more exotic wood but for now these should work.

Made it out once the 2nd week of October but not much sign of deer around us so didn't get to test them out. Hopefully can make it out again before the season ends.
Very nice!

deerhunter88

Reaction score
Nice job! You are an artist! My calls are more utilitarian. I seem to always need to pull the call apart to clean or adjust the reed. I have yet to find a good way to secure the reed and still have quick access when needed.
The way I do it is that I make my lanyard with paracord and tie a slipknot into the mid section which I use to sinch the call shut with, works like a charm.

WinterHawk

Reaction score
When surveying in SE we would call in deer just using a strip of plastic flagging held between the base of our thumbs pushed together and pulled taut with the rest of our thumbs. Cup your hands and blow between your thumbs, just like using a piece of grass when we were kids.

I've made the same with wood and flagging, one end of the two pieces of wood held together with tape, pull the flagging taut and tape the other end of the wood.

~Hawk~