Deadman Lake, Alaska

DGilbert1973

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I would like to Introduce Us.My name is Dan and my Wife is Tammy. We purchased 10 Acres by dead man lake (800' West to be exact) We would like to have any input that you may have about the area from Building a off grid cabin to everyday living with Farm animals in that area, we both are trained in survival and have grown up in the rocky mountains of colorado and wyoming, this is our passion and our dream to move there and fall off the face of the earth.

Big Bend

Reaction score
You are going to define the Deadman lake you are talking about as there are three (3 ) different ones ????

Paul H

Reaction score
I hate to be that guy, but you'd do well to search through older posts in this forum as there is a wealth of info on building remote cabins. As far as raising farm animals in cold country, you'll likely find that the cost of keeping them fed and warm offset's the benefit of farm stock.

mit

Reaction score
I hate to be that guy, but you'd do well to search through older posts in this forum as there is a wealth of info on building remote cabins. As far as raising farm animals in cold country, you'll likely find that the cost of keeping them fed and warm offset's the benefit of farm stock.

I agree! But that is too short for the board...

DGilbert1973

Reaction score
what is your idea on traveling over the river when its frozen by snowmobile or by boat during thaw

mit

Reaction score
what is your idea on traveling over the river when its frozen by snowmobile or by boat during thaw
I flew out on Sunday there are still open spots in the river and I did not see any tracks on it yet. Usually by this time it is safe but I'm a bit Leary this year because of the high water this summer and the lack of cold so far this winter. Every year is different. Boats after the ice is gone!

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
Make sure it is frozen. Stay on trail. This is my third year in the bush. I didn't go out on the river until last year. This year I started to go out last weekend, but to many holes for me. Matter of fact there were three guys that went in down river (might have been kuskokwim though). Tracks were followed. Right into the hole. Sucks. During breakup or spring time, it gets dangerous. You really need to know the river. Kno,w where the sandbars are.

Music Man

Reaction score
Make sure it is frozen. Stay on trail. This is my third year in the bush. I didn't go out on the river until last year. This year I started to go out last weekend, but to many holes for me. Matter of fact there were three guys that went in down river (might have been kuskokwim though). Tracks were followed. Right into the hole. Sucks. During breakup or spring time, it gets dangerous. You really need to know the river. Kno,w where the sandbars are.

The report is that they were drunk and it was at night, they were told not to go, cant fix stupid.

DGilbert1973

Reaction score
I know that its going to be ruff, but i think i have a better chance to survive up there then i would here in the lower 48 states,i think things are fixin to get really rough down here, my biggest hurdle right now is figuring out how to transport everything up river to home sight, im hopeing that the river is big enough to have smaller barges on, but this will take more investigating, i think it will be a while before i have learned alot of your ways up there, so if finances permit , i think we will come up to visit the area and see what is needed, for transport, living, etc. We have almost everything that we need but i will double check everything twice to be on safe side.

DGilbert1973

Reaction score
well i read the other sight u sent me , i think my choice was a good one on the lots i bought, cant wait to meet everyone up there

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
I know that its going to be ruff, but i think i have a better chance to survive up there then i would here in the lower 48 states,i think things are fixin to get really rough down here, my biggest hurdle right now is figuring out how to transport everything up river to home sight, im hopeing that the river is big enough to have smaller barges on, but this will take more investigating, i think it will be a while before i have learned alot of your ways up there, so if finances permit , i think we will come up to visit the area and see what is needed, for transport, living, etc. We have almost everything that we need but i will double check everything twice to be on safe side.

I'll be honest. If it gets rough down there, it is going to get rougher up here. I looked into farming. It wasn't worth it. At least not remote farming.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
Dan, my best advise is; don't burn any bridges, make sure you have lots of money, a return ticket, and a plan-B. I don't mean to be discouraging, but it's entirely possible that you'll realize this is not necessarily the land of milk and honey, and "falling off the face of the earth" isn't what it's imagined to be.