Daughter's 21st Birthday. She wants a compact 9mm pistol... Help

Alangaq

Reaction score
Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I thi
Forgot to mention price.. I found that SW in Anchorage had the best pricing on both pistols. Neither was over $380. Midway USA and Brownells has extra mags, but I was also able to find the Ruger mags at Cabelas, although I paid the premium Cabela price…

Mobius

Reaction score
If by chance you are going to be in Anchorage and want to hit the bunny creek range to let you daughter try them both, just let me know and maybe we can figure out a day that will work.

+about a million!

This is exactly how my wife picked her carry gun. I invited everyone I knew had handguns to a range and told them to bring their toys. Gun owners tend to be pretty receptive to the idea of sharing toys! LOL. She was able to shoot from .380 to .45 that day in everything from Ruger, Sig, Glock, H&K, and more. Her top favorite was the XD .45 but not practical for carry. She didn't like the small Sigs and she didn't like the M&P 9c (which isn't the same as the shield). She settled on the Glock 26 and hasn't been disappointed. Now when she over hears people at the store she pipes up about how much she loves it.

I guess what I'm getting at is, because she was involved and made the decision, she's more satisfied as a customer than if I had given her something and said here this is yours.

PS, if a group range day does come about, I'll bring her G26 to offer for a test fire... well, that's assuming I can sneak it away from her long enough.

Smitty of the North

Reaction score
SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points
Forgot to mention price.. I found that SW in Anchorage had the best pricing on both pistols. Neither was over $380. Midway USA and Brownells has extra mags, but I was also able to find the Ruger mags at Cabelas, although I paid the premium Cabela price…

Three Bears has reely good prices on handguns, and they have gun counters in every store now, including the one near me.

I'm sure they sell a lot of them too, since they don't seem to last very long. I got my Ruger Mk III Hunter at 3 Bears, on Knick-Goosebay Road.

Smitty of the North

shimano 33

Reaction score
My wife has the Ruger LC, but in a 380. She really likes the gun.

Prior to that, she had the LCP. That pistol just had a little more recoil than she liked…mainly due to being so small and lightweight.

abreitzm

Reaction score
If she tries the Sig P938, have her try it with the extended mag. Bought mine that way and it is the only way I like shooting it.

RainGull

Reaction score
Sigs and Kahrs are both very nice and both worth the price without hesitation. My wife shopped and shopped and then stole my Kahr 9mm.

You may want to see if she can narrow down single/double stack magazines up front. Some people are make or break with grip issues. Of course you can always add bulk to single stack designed frames, but can shave precious little from double stack frames (Sig sure tries though with their Ergo grips, short trigger, and SRT). Personally I wouldn't choose anything with under a 3.5" barrel, just not worth the trade offs in my opinion unless deep concealment is needed.

.338 mag.

Reaction score
She really needs to shoot a Gen IV Glock 19 or 26. Small is easier to carry, big is usually easier to shoot. I personally think the 9mm Luger is at it's best with 115 grain or heavier +P+ loads inside 20 yards. Put a 8" paper plate up at 10' and see how fast she can shoot a pistol and still hit the target. That should help her decide on the size of the pistol she wants.

thewhop2000

Reaction score
Man oh man.. Thank you to all that has chimed in. Will get with my little one and see what she wants to do. Kudos to all!!!!!!!!!!!