Copper fouling

limon32

Reaction score
Copper fouling

The steel of your barrel should be much stronger than the brass brush. I use them and I've never noticed any scratching. They might cause more rifling wear but I think you'd have to be a competition shooter or clean a lot before you'd see it?

Seems analogous to using a brass punch to install bearing races too me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alaskabliss

Reaction score
I use Nylon brushes so the chemicals in the bore cleaners dont eat them up. Seems copper or wire brushes with a copper fouling remover is going to make short use of your brushes. I know my brushes turn blue if I dip them in Barnes CR-10.

4merguide

Reaction score
I use Nylon brushes so the chemicals in the bore cleaners dont eat them up. Seems copper or wire brushes with a copper fouling remover is going to make short use of your brushes. I know my brushes turn blue if I dip them in Barnes CR-10.

That makes sense....

I also ask because I noticed that they also have that tool that centers the cleaning rod in the bore as well. I'm assuming so that the rod doesn't hit the sides of the chamber as you are cleaning? I've always thought that my cleaning rod was aluminum and that it wouldn't damage the steel...???

Akheloce

Reaction score
Whenever people mention softer vs harder metal, think of the Grand Canyon. Water is softer than rock right?

If harder surfaces can't be abraded by softer ones , then you'd never see a bright smooth spot on handrails.

dkwarthog

Reaction score
4mer, the bore guide is meant to protect the crown of the muzzle from getting nicked, if you are cleaning from the muzzle end to the chamber.

Akheloce

Reaction score
Never saw a bore guide like that. Mine all are meant to fit the chamber.

limon32

Reaction score
Whenever people mention softer vs harder metal, think of the Grand Canyon. Water is softer than rock right?

If harder surfaces can't be abraded by softer ones , then you'd never see a bright smooth spot on handrails.

Wouldn't that preclude the use of nylon too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

back country

Reaction score
As with most here, I used to get all "worked up" about copper fouling until I happened onto an interview with a Special Ops sniper on cleaning the bore specifically - these guys shoot as much or more than most and depend on accuracy from their weapons to protect themselves and their brothers - They also have armorers who usually know as much or more about gunsmithing and ammo than most of us will ever know - This sniper stated that their common practice now is to not clean copper fouling until accuracy degrades and fairly often the barrel will be "shot out" before it ever gets de-coppered - As a side note he commented NOT to mistake carbon fouling for copper fouling, but it's black when it comes out on a patch - Personally, I'll go with the sniper's take on the whole issue