Coastal Brown Bear Cartridge Poll

Coastal Brown Bear Cartridge Poll

• Total voters

TWB

Reaction score
Now alls we need is a poll about plastics vs leather boots.

theultrarider

Reaction score
So you think for Coastal Brown Bear cartridge selection is not important?

You're starting to catch on.... go to the range with your favorite flavor and practice. Its a rainbow colored world out there. Nobody really cares what you shoot. Just shoot it well. I doubt there is a caliber made that hasn't killed coastal browns. Even sticks.

Mobius

Reaction score
You're starting to catch on.... go to the range with your favorite flavor and practice. Its a rainbow colored world out there. Nobody really cares what you shoot. Just shoot it well. I doubt there is a caliber made that hasn't killed coastal browns. Even sticks.
Whoa! Hey. Stop that. We don't like logic or reason in this world. Darn it, I'd have to question my whole entire existence if the caliber wars weren't the center of the universe... {/sarcasm} Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cabochris

Reaction score

Why are there caliber restrictions in Africa? No rainbows there?

Bullelkklr

Reaction score
If Alaska turns into Africa, I for one am LEAVING.

Cabo - you should hang up your smokepole and learn how to really hunt - nothing like the arc of an arrow. A sharp arrow is a very deadly weapon. I had to choose .270 because there was no arrow choice.

{That oughta move the rocks around in the bottom of the kettle!}

saint_nick3

Reaction score
Why are there caliber restrictions in Africa? No rainbows there?
Because they make the rules. You can also use a bow in Africa. A problem with your arguments is that you have two ideas going on: what works for hunting vs what would be perfect for an attack. Lastly, I know many people who only use a 243. Your world would be turned upside down if you lived in a village for a year.

theultrarider

Reaction score
I have one tale to tell of a charging brown in the 30+ years of hunting and fishing alaska. First off. For the most part charging bears are a product of Hollywood and magazines. To say it is a rare occurrence would be overstating just howoften bears charge a human. Thus why we choose to carry hunting guns and not .50 cals everywhere we go.

About 7 years ago I was sneaking up to my moose stand in the dark. Spotted a shape in the willows feeding. Just the butt showing towards me. I stood there quietly til it lifted its head. Cow or a bull? When the head came up, it was the wrong shape! BEAR! It i mmeadiately stood up on its hind legs to smell me. He was 37 yards away. Not aggressive. Just trying to identify me. I could have shot then and there as it stood with its full chest exposed to me. I chose not to. I was totally alone hunting. Not another human for miles. I didnt have faith in being able to lay him over stone cold dead. Instead I relied on what I have learned on behavior of bears. True to textbook, the bear dropped onto all fours and approached closer. It cut that distance in half. Once again standing up to smell me and try to look at me. Not agressive, just trying to Identify me. That but him at about 15 yards. Next they say 15' is the last line they will always stop at. I've been talking to the bear all this time to identify my self as a human. Well, once again true to form the bear stops right on Que. 15' and stands up. Now the gun is aimed.... safety off waiting for the front paws to come down and see which way he goes. Sure enough. It did an about face and watched me as SHE was leaving. I now say SHE because as she got out to about 25 yards away, a pair of 4 year old cubs come bolting straight at me out of nowhere! Momma immediately gives chase to them. All 3 coming straight at me. So much for a gun of any kind at this point. I get large in the middle of the game trail and yell for all im worth. The cubs slowed up just enough that momma caught them and turned them around right on that 15' mark I had earlier had drawn in the sand so to speak. Once again, as she retreated with her cubs in front of her, she was watching me over her shoulder. They went their way. I went mine.

Now. Im guessing you would have emptied your big boomer the first time she stood up. Leaving you with an empty rifle and two pissed off 4 yr old browns to deal with?

Point is, it takes more than a large caliber gun to stay alive in bear country. And most any gun made can kill a bear in a HUNTING situation. I will admit I didnt sleep real good in my tent that following night as I was about 200's yards from my tent when this took place. Spent 6 more days camped there and hunting there. Never did see the bears again. Even with a moose hanging in the tree....

Good luck with your research and your upcoming hunt.

northwoods

Reaction score
What's the next thread going to be? What scope to use?
Go hunt, have a little fortitude.

mike h

Reaction score
What's the next thread going to be? What scope to use?
Go hunt, have a little fortitude.

What sort of diet soda to drink? (Ans: Tab, of course)

What sort of cup to put it in? (Ans: real hunters only drink out of titanium)

What time is bedtime?

hogfamily

Reaction score
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, A
groan.gif