Coastal Brown Bear Cartridge Poll

Coastal Brown Bear Cartridge Poll

• Total voters

Cabochris

Reaction score
Of these which would be your go to cartridge for an Alaskan Coastal Brown Bear Hunt?

gunbugs

Reaction score
I think this was pretty well hashed out in your other thread......

1Cor15:19

Reaction score
Gotta admire (or is that abhor) the determination of some of these posts/posters.

Here's a question about your poll: what if I've taken coastal brown bears with several of the cartridges you list (more than one with some of them) and used several cartridges you don't list for other brown bears?

An appropriate bullet in the proper place is effective on coastal brown bears irrespective of the cartridge.......

rbuck351

Reaction score
I only have four of that list, 270,30/06,338wm and 416Rem. That being said, my first choice would be my 358N followed by my 350Rem. If I had to go from the list, I would have to get a 35Whelen. I like the 358 cal but none of my 358s are on the list including the 35rem in a Rem M8. That would be my third choice using a 200gr cast at 2200.

kevin476

Reaction score
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how many of these stupid threads does there need to be? it makes finding the good and useful info on this great forum a total mess!

mainer_in_ak

Reaction score
I think this was pretty well hashed out in your other thread......

great, more theoretical thinking out loud about a subject the sees dozens of threads every month. I didn't take the poll, because i don't give a flying-..... about what another guy uses for bear hunting.

Cabochris

Reaction score
great, more theoretical thinking out loud about a subject the sees dozens of threads every month. I didn't take the poll, because i don't give a flying-..... about what another guy uses for bear hunting.

I happen to find it interesting. We all have to learn from someone, and I value the opinions of bear hunters here. Besides this is fun too. I'm hoping mostly experienced bear hunters will reply.

Meanderthal

Reaction score
How can I take this poll seriously when only shoulder fired weapons are represented?

My rule of thumb is that for any cartridge to be adequate it needs to launch a projectile of at least 1/8 the weight of the target critter at a speed of at least 2 feet per second for every pound of critter weight. The absolute minimum for a 1600 pound brown bear would be something like the M110A2 Howitzer which launches a round weighing a little over 200 pounds a little faster than 3200 feet per second.

In this example you will notice that the size of the critters vital zone corresponds with the diameter of the projectile. The 1600 pound brown bear has a vital zone of approximately 8" and the diameter of the round launched by the M110A2 is 8" also. This negates any potential terminal performance problems due to lack of expansion.

Reactions: BTK

Cabochris

Reaction score
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how many of these stupid threads does there need to be? it makes finding the good and useful info on this great forum a total mess!

If you find a thread useless, why waste your time replying? There seems to be some here that like to put down others because they do not like or approve of what they read. Why? That makes no sense at all in a FORUM. If I see something that I do not like, I ignore it. Why can't you?

Cabochris

Reaction score
How can I take this poll seriously when only shoulder fired weapons are represented?

My rule of thumb is that for any cartridge to be adequate it needs to launch a projectile of at least 1/8 the weight of the target critter at a speed of at least 2 feet per second for every pound of critter weight. The absolute minimum for a 1600 pound brown bear would be something like the M110A2 Howitzer which launches a round weighing a little over 200 pounds a little faster than 3200 feet per second.

In this example you will notice that the size of the critters vital zone corresponds with the diameter of the projectile. The 1600 pound brown bear has a vital zone of approximately 8" and the diameter of the round launched by the M110A2 is 8" also. This negates any potential terminal performance problems due to lack of expansion.

Would that be legal? Funny though! Why are there so many cartridge choices worldwide? One can pretty much only hunt with one at a time. So how does one choose? I figured experienced bear hunters would reply to share their knowledge and help others perhaps to make better choices. Seriously, what have you used on brown bear?