Circle Yukon Float

txtoak

Reaction score
A buddy and I are planning on floating the Yukon using Circle as our access point for hunting season this year. It will be my first float hunt.

What are some must have things you bring on your floats that would never make it into a mountain hunt bag?

Also, how safe will it be to leave a car parked in Circle? Any good places to leave it?

Any other tips/info about floating an area like this would be amazing!

tboehm

Reaction score
You alway wind up heavier, dry bags for all your gear to be sure. Extra oar, patch kit. Inreach. Waders. If your can lay your hands on Mikes book, hunting alaska Rivers

AKducks

Reaction score
What is your plan? are you floating to circle or from circle? Everything I know is that the Yukon is not a good float for moose. people use the Yukon to access side rivers to find moose.

VernAK

Reaction score
What is your plan? are you floating to circle or from circle? Everything I know is that the Yukon is not a good float for moose. people use the Yukon to access side rivers to find moose.

That's been my experience also.

pipercub

Reaction score
Since he never responded, maybe he is out in the Yukon Flats somewhere? Trying to figure it all out…Since the next road access point is the bridge, could be a long hunt.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Since he never responded, maybe he is out in the Yukon Flats somewhere? Trying to figure it all out…Since the next road access point is the bridge, could be a long hunt.

I just drove over to Anch. and back. The road traffic from hunters was downright dangerous. Motorhomes with trailers. Trucks with boats and trailers and everyone wanting to get home for the work week. That stretch from Kings River to Caribou Creek was a nightmare. The width of your vehicle includes the mirrors. You should keep them in your lane too. :hmm:

txtoak

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!

We ended up opting for a different location to moose hunt this year because neither of us had significant river experience yet. The original plan was to motor upstream from Circle about 40 miles. Check out some spots we saw on Satellite images, then float back to Circle.

AKducks

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!

We ended up opting for a different location to moose hunt this year because neither of us had significant river experience yet. The original plan was to motor upstream from Circle about 40 miles. Check out some spots we saw on Satellite images, then float back to Circle.

That makes sense, if you plan this trip in the future make sure you know where private land is (ie native land) I think the native Corps own land up to the Yukon-Charley national Preserve (30 ish miles)

Float Pilot

Reaction score
Back when I was law-dawging in the bush, I had a bunch of German guys who were floating the Yukon River have everything they owned stolen at Fort Yukon. Canoes, packs, rifles, everything. And nobody in town would say who it was. My experience in various interior villages is that the area is full of natural born thieves,

victornumber0

Reaction score
I live in Circle so if you need some accurate info shoot me a message, It may take me a little while to get back to you since we'll be heading out to our trapline soon.