Changing Pachmyer Sling Studs To Regular Studs

Nitroman

Reaction score
On my .338 and .500 A-Square stocks there are Pachmyer recessed studs installed. I don't like these as the quick release "swivel" is only 1" wide and I want to use Turner Saddlery's National Match m1907 slings which are 1 1/4".

Question: is there a way to easily remove these studs or should I bite the bullet and let a professional do it?

Thanks.

gunbugs

Reaction score
I think they will be epoxied in place. You will have to apply heat to break the epoxy, and remove them without pulling up wood chips at the surface. Then, once removed, plug the holes, redrill and install studs. IMG_0312.jpg

stid2677

Reaction score
They are steel right?? Could you not use a bandsaw and cut the stem off and weld that too a 1 1/4 loop?? Seems much easier than replacing the stud.

Just thinking out loud, that is how I would approach it.

Good Luck

Nitroman

Reaction score
I think they will be epoxied in place. You will have to apply heat to break the epoxy, and remove them without pulling up wood chips at the surface. Then, once removed, plug the holes, redrill and install studs. View attachment 81956

Dang it. I figured as much. Thanks.

They are steel right?? Could you not use a bandsaw and cut the stem off and weld that too a 1 1/4 loop?? Seems much easier than replacing the stud.

Just thinking out loud, that is how I would approach it.

Good Luck

You know, I do not know if they are machined or pressed steel. I think in the long run, considering the weight of the rifles, it may be better to have them pulled and new studs installed.

Hudge

Reaction score
I bought a Remington 700 in January from a guy that had almost identical looking sling studs in the stock, but they were screw in. I got lucky I guess and I unscrewed them from the stock and replaced them with regular studs. I think I would have them pulled and install the new ones.

Nitroman

Reaction score
I have resigned myself to bringing both stocks with the hardware into Anchorage next trip and paying a pro to install them.

Latest posts