CFII/ATPs looking to rent 172 or 182 out of Anchorage

jacksonbrowne

Reaction score
Hello All,

My friend and I are active CFIIs, ATPs, and tailwheel instructors with over 2100TT and Learjet type ratings. We're headed to Anchorage in late August for a fishing trip and would really like to fly our own bird rather than pay for a seat on a Douglas. So far the flight schools have been unwilling to let us take something overnight, since they claim that even with a 4-hour minimum daily rental they can still make more with the bird at home.
We both have a ton of time in 172s, 182s, 210s, Bonanzas, Bellancas, etc. Our lodge's strip is only about 2000', so we probably need to stick with a high wing Cessna. We both have personal insurance policies, in addition to probably meeting the open pilot policy on any available aircraft, and zero-accident/incident records.
We need the bird for 3 days and are certainly willing to pay market price - certainly doesn't need to be anything fancy, either. Before the school bailed on us we were thinking about flying our A36 up, but now we're all stuck with nonrefundable airline tickets. If any of you know anyone willing to rent their baby I'd be happy to provide a resume and references, down payment, etc. Even if you can simply point us in the right direction, any help or advice is much appreciated!

Repectfully,

Justin C. Scarrow & Christopher Cook

Grizzly 2

Reaction score
Check with Land and Sea in Anchorage. They used to do overnight or over weekend rentals.

I'll second that recommendation. I've just arranged an airplane rental for this coming August. I'll be using it for round trips from Merrill Field to the Iliamna, King Salmon, and Port Heiden areas. Their only restriction seems to be their reluctance to have their planes operated on and off gravel strips.

jim in anchorage

Reaction score

Muskeg56

Reaction score
I'll second that recommendation. I've just arranged an airplane rental for this coming August. I'll be using it for round trips from Merrill Field to the Iliamna, King Salmon, and Port Heiden areas. Their only restriction seems to be their reluctance to have their planes operated on and off gravel strips.

He mentioned that the destination is a 2000' lodge strip. Sounds pretty gravelly to me.

ftaba1

Reaction score
You are right, Jim. After the owner died, Aerotech closed its doors.
Not much choice left here in Anchorage - Land and Sea plus Arctic Flyers.
Is Aerotech still in busness? I know the owner died 2-3 years ago.

RocketRick

Reaction score
Last time I looked AeroTech is gone. We used to park there in the eaqrly80's. Wilbur's used to rent and I'd take their 172s to Illiamna all the time.

Might want to go in partners and buy one to fly up here. I know an Oklahoma FAA test pilot that did that in ard 2010 r 2011. I think 3 guys went in on a 180. I was stinking abt renting my 180 to them but decided against it.

RR

Muskeg56

Reaction score
Land and Sea understands that I'll be taking their airplane to a gravel strip at Painter Creek, near Port Heiden.
Alright, I understand. Reluctance but not prohibited. I know that's part of your old stomping grounds. Have a good time.

jim in anchorage

Reaction score
I think the gravel strip thing depends on on the strip. When I was a student at take flight[then owned by Miller] He allowed goose bay and I don't know what happened-But it went on the no land list. Skwentna and Willow, etc still OK.

jacksonbrowne

Reaction score
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Uc1bZSsGEUvRoxqS6

Resurrection of the thread! We ended up renting a 172 from Arctic Air in Palmer. Had a great time flying to Gulkana, down through the Copper river valley, refueled in Cordova, then out to the lodge. We're headed back next week, but since then I've racked up a couple hundred hours of remote time in the Aleutians, gotten a few hundred hours tailwheel time, got a float rating, and done some ski flying with a buddy last Feb. Since our trip my best friend passed away (unrelated to aviation), but my wife and I are headed out with my buddy's father and brother.

Arctic Air's 172 was unfortunately destroyed when a 180 landed on top of it in Talkeetna. We were planning on having a buddy drop us off in his skywagon, but it looks like it will still be in the shop next week for an engine upgrade. I'm thinking about taking their 310 to Cordova and then taking an air taxi out to the Tsiu, but I'd much rather fly us out myself. I know we need our own wagon, and we will get it soon - just closed on a lot on Wolf Lake in Wasilla and we'll be moving up full time in Oct. Until then, though, it looks like we'll still have to rent. Turns out after going there the lodge strip is 3000' of decent turf, no gravel.

Figured I'd ask here while I look around since you guys have all the inside info. I'd rather pay someone to rent their wagon, 206, Sedan, etc., than a flight school, but that's better than nothing. Prefer to deal up in the valley, but beggers can't be choosers. Open to any offers or deals anyone has in mind, and appreciate any heads up or PMs! Thank you guys for all the help and time pointing us in the right direction.

P.S.- Was laughing while looking back at Float Pilot's post since he was drawing a comparison I was too naive to pick up on. Fortunately since then I've had some great friends and mentors to show me the ropes.