Caribou hunting courtesy of your tax dollars.

martentrapper

Reaction score
Spent the night at a lovely spot here on the seward pen. Nice bunk house, bath house with hot and cold running water.........and all in the middle of nowhere. Here's a pic of a friends kid I took along in front of the bunkhouse, with the bath house in back. The steam you see rising is the hot water............a natural hot springs:

Attachments

• emsb-daycamp.jpg
    emsb-daycamp.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0

martentrapper

Reaction score
that night.

that night.

The camp, and the associated runway (we flew in there in my plane) are maintained with your tax dollars. Most of the folks that use the place take good care of it also.
Spent the night, after a soak in the hot tub, with visions of caribou dancing in our heads. Seen a bear that night too. Having some really good weather lately, which usually meand night time fog in this area. Here's another pic showing the fog forming:

Attachments

• darkcamp.jpg
    darkcamp.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0

martentrapper

Reaction score
Next day

Next day

Woke up to some pretty thick fog, but the sun took care of that. Took a hike up the valley. Was kinda hoping to find the bear still grazing on berries. Sure as shootin............we did. But ol martentrapper didn't have his thinking cap on, and the bear sighted us and booked over the rise. Followed along the same direction........just in case..........lo and behold, heres a group of nice bull bou. The western arctic herd has come thru this area severas winters in a row, and taken some of the local reindeer. Some interbreeding has occured, the result being that some bou spend the entire year in this area. I've taken bou here in July also.
Anyway, we were fortunate enough to get close enough to get a decent shot at this bou, and he ended up ours:

emsbouview2.jpg

mikesbouaug27.jpg

We just shot the one. Had a little over a mile to pack the meat back. Tough pack, but we got it all. Tried to take the cape and antlers, but that was a bit more than we could carry. I'm thinking of going back up there and getting them tomorrow. More good weather in the forecast.

AkHunter45

Reaction score
Now thats hunting in comfort!! Excellent bull Mike, did you shoot it or did your young friend?

martentrapper

Reaction score
I was going to let the lad shoot the bear with my rifle, but we, or I, screwed that up. The bou were too far away for him to try a shot, he isn't real experienced yet. If we had been able to get within 100 yds, then I'd have had him shoot.

AkHunter45

Reaction score
Well he was there and thats a start, i'm sure he learned quite abit about meat care and how it's properly done.

liv2hnt

Reaction score
Nice Bou! The country is AWESOME! I love wide open hunting. Glad to hear you took a young'un with you. Can never get them started to early!

fullkurl

Reaction score
wow!

wow!

Thanks for sharing, Mike.
Great hunt and pics!
The rocky tors in the area are really interesting, they have probably been affording hunters stalking cover for thousands of years....very cool.

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
marten - Nice bou...congratulations! Looks like you had fantastic weather as well.

So, what's the story on the camp? Which agency maintains it, and what is the intended purpose?

-Brian

martentrapper

Reaction score
Now Brian............as Mr. Strahan would say.............do your own research.
Normally I tell everyone everything I know........but this spot is such a secret still..........even Larry Bartlett doesn't know about it..........haha!

gogoalie

Reaction score
hmmmm

hmmmm

Seward Penisula, hot springs...tundra...volcanic mountain formations...US Federal Goverment cabins....I KNOW WHERE IT IS!!!!! Anyone can IM me for the exact locale...:D
;) :p

Just teasin ya there martentrapper!!!

Latest posts