Camping lower knight

Rob B

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking several guys from work on a fishing trip for a weekend in June down towards the south end of Knight Island/Montague area and was wondering if anyone knew of some good beaches to camp on. Anything down that way would be great. I know a lot of it is native land but whAt are the rules for camping there?

Paul H

Reaction score
While not Knight Island, last summer we spent a few nights in Iktua Bay in Wales Passage. We slept on the boat and it looks like that area is Native land. Here's a map I found that shows land ownership in the sound:
http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/areaplans/prince/pdf/summary_brochure.pdf

Looks like quite a bit of Southern Knight is Federal land. A copy of the Lethcoe PWS cruising guide should give you all the info you need on the anchorages in that area.

I didn't have much luck finding what the requirements are to camp on Native lands on the net, I believe a permit is required but that would probably require a call to Chenega Corp to see how to aquire one.

JR2

Reaction score
I have found the Lethcoe PWS cruising guide a little sketchy on land ownership. It mentions when a whole area is native land, but when its mixed it kind of glosses over it, but still a good resource.

Its a little run but I remember seeing some guys camped in Bambridge passage about halfway down.. there is a big open area right after the bottleneck... and there were a couple of tents.

John

AK2AZ

Reaction score
I have tent camped in Squirrel Bay in POW passage and find it to be a nice place adjacent to good fishing. Very easy approach with soft sand bottom.

Rob B

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't had a chance to dig they that part of the cruising guide but will this weekend. Google earth shows done decent spots too. Just looking to pitch a couple tents for the night and fish the weekend