Calico fox question

AKBEE

Reaction score
Saw a calico colored fox today. First one I have seen and just wondering how common they are.
Thanks,
BEE

dkwarthog

Reaction score
They are really pretty common in the susitna valley. I'm assuming your referring to a cross fox. I see more crosses than straight reds in my area. There are a surprising amount of silver fox as well. I was told that there was once some fox farms in the area that released foxes or had escapees back in the day.

image.jpg

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you referring to a fox colored like this?

crossfox1.jpg

JuliW

Reaction score
Brian and DK are probably correct in assuming it is a cross fox. Crosses can come in a variety of shades...some more red, others more black(silver). And to top it off, they can have white feet as well as tail tips/- which might add even more to the 'calico' look you are referring to. Also - given the fact that there were quite a few farmed foxes released when the market crashed (many years ago)..You might even see some really interesting colors....
check out the cross in the upper right corner of this page: http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/6855.html

AKBEE

Reaction score
Thank y'all for your responses. Dave- it was actually trotting along a trail just past Willow Creek. Brian- it looked kind of like that with some red/orangish fur and some patches of darker grey and black with a large white end of tail. Looked super healthy and like a calico cat coloring. Juli I hoped you would chime in since you seem to have a great knowledge of animals around- I bet is was a cross. Very interesting and started my morning off to a good start! Wish I had gotten a picture!

Thanks again.
BEE

JuliW

Reaction score
Hi Bee,

I am appreciative of the kind words, but I am pretty sure my knowledge of local wildlife isn't any more than Dave's or Brian's - different maybe, coming from the taxidermy perspective :).

Also - right now the critters have pretty short, uniform hair length, which could make the colors on a cross appear 'calico' like. Especially on one that was very red/black in color.

I hear you on having the camera handy -- we were pike fishing at Ardaugh lake a week ago and a nice young bull moose appeared on the shoreline. We paddled the canoe within 20 yds (nice broadside bow shot, LOL)..of course this was the one time I left my good camera behind, and instead had to use the phone for pictures. LOL.

AKBEE

Reaction score
Juli:

I only meant that as a taxidermist you likely see more furs than most and if someone gets a 'strange' or 'out of the normal' fur- they are likely going to take it to someone such as yourself, so would expect y'all to see some unusual ones as well.

One reason I am on these forums is that so many very experienced people are willing to share their knowledge and I learn things all the time!

Thank y'all again!

BEE

Latest posts